BUG: Firewall blocks carbonite backup

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by ArchChancellor, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArchChancellor

ArchChancellor Registered Member

Running Windows Vista 32, and the latest version of Eset Smart Security, blocks the web interface portion of Carbonite backup.

(www.carbonite.com)

I can run the backup software, and it seems to function properly, but none of the windows (which apparently connect to LOCALHOST) do not connect to the internal server.

I've tried disabling the firewall completely, no dice. The only way to make it work is to completely un-install ESS.

It should be an easily reproducable bug, the software is available for free on a trial basis.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Try to open Advanced Setup Tree

1. Add an exclusion for the whole program
    2. Turn the firewall to Interactive Mode and allow any possible communication from this software

3. lenpal

lenpal Registered Member

Carbonite uses ports 25 (smtp), 53 (dns), 80 (http), and 443 (ssl). You can certainly just allow these ports in your firewall. Please PM me if you need additional assistance or information about Carbonite.

4. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

these are standard ports, but I'm curious as to why carbonite -a backup software - uses port 25? Does it send email notifications as to progress?

I'm beginning to look at carbonite now....

5. ArchChancellor

I've done this. There are two programs that I can see. The first is CarboniteUI.exe. The second is CarboniteService.exe

I have allowed unrestricted access on all ports and I still get the error in the Carbonite interface. It cannot connect to the following address, even if I completely disable the Eset Firewall:

http://localhost:668/html/InfoCenter-Status.htm

As you can see the problem is on port 668.

Now here's the very interesting part. If I type the above address into my browser, I get the same error, HOWEVER, if I type the above address into the browser as:

http://127.0.0.1:668/html/InfoCenter-Status.htm

Voila, I see the page and everything works fine..

It appears that Eset is doing something to 'localhost' in that it is not being directed to my local machine. When I uninstall eset, it works properly.

6. ArchChancellor

Ahh, I've found a fix for the issue.

Advanced Setup >Web access protection > HTTP > Web Browsers

Uncheck the box next to CarboniteUI.exe

7. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

question: did you have nod32 installed first, or carbonite?

I have the carbonite trial on my work machine and I haven't had any issues since installation earlier today - of course, I had NOD32 installed first and it's 2.7 on my work machine, not Eset Smart Security RC.

8. ArchChancellor

I had Carbonite installed first, and I'm using the RC1 Suite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.