Bug: duplicate entries in rules editor

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Meister, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meister

Meister Registered Member

A programs tries to access the network (in/out doesn't matter) and ESS shows the popup.

1) Don't click allow or deny. let the connection timeout.
    2) When it times out check the "remember action (create rule)" box when choose Allow or Deny
    3) Depending on the program, it will retry the connection and the popup will appear again (even though you already chose to remember the rule) and if you click "remember action (create rule)" it will create the duplicate.

Of course, if you don't choose to remember the second time it will not create any duplicate.

----

The popups are queued which is why it shows the second time. ESS shows one and waits for user input. In the meantime, the other program retries the connection and ESS queues the popup (as it should) but the other popup wasn't dealt with yet. When the user finally chooses the next popup in queue appears.

Ideally, it should cancel the "duplicate" popup. If it's not possible to do so, at least it should detect that there is another rule that's exactly the same and don't duplicate (even if we choose to remember).

That's all.

2. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

I've had this problem after logging into Windows XP Pro when my Watchguard VPN Client tries to connect.

Even though I selected "remember action (create rule)" and clicked the "allow" button to create a rule that allowed access to all ports, I was prompted another 5 times for the same thing.

I now have 6 identical rules for this application in my configuration.
    I had to manually delete the duplicates.

:(

3. RealCybi

RealCybi Registered Member

I think it would if be fine, if ESS checks the connection again agains all rules before showing a queued popup window for it and asking the user again.

So one would only be asked a second time, if there was no rule created before that applies to this connection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.