Bufferzone apps

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Iangh, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I've just downloaded the free Bufferzone.

Which programmes do I add to Bufferzone? browsers, email, P2P.

Anything else? Games that use internet?

All advice appreciated.

BTW - I have Cyberhawk installed. Do I need to keep it with Bufferzone?

Ian

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Their new version is about to release. U need to run all browsers, messengers, mail clients etc in BZ. Can,t say about games though.

3. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

actually aigle, a sneak peak at the free version of the new release is available right now at download.com :
    http://www.download.com/BufferZone-...Sharing/3000-8022_4-10597240.html?tag=lst-0-3

very, VERY disappointed in it! you can no longer add programs you wish to be virtualized to a list and have bufferzone remember it for next time! you have to right-click and select the program you want to move into bufferzone, and since you can't add programs like you used to be able to in the previous freeware version (1.9), you need to do this each time you want the program to be virtualized. the new freeware version of bufferzone has been toned down severely :(

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Obviously they did it intentionally as the previous free version was almost equal to Pro version. I am dissappointed too but I think they need money for their work as well.
    Anyway it is now out of my list due to these stripped down features. The bad thing is that even you can,t use the older version as it was not avaiable as a standalone installer download. I think it was also related to some future planning.
    BTW still in the RC version I found the application launch was a bit delayed and I did wrote to them as well. KillDisk virus issue was also dissappointing.
    Let,s see how it goes.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So have the put the new versions on their website? I don,t see any announcement on their website. Also no mail from them.

6. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I also have been looking forward to this release. Is there any other differences in this release?.

Also another question if i may. I know it's a security feature but is there a way to setup BufferZone to allow the AutoFill of usernames/passwords, etc for a site as this. My brief use of the previous version(started experiencing lockups) i had to fill in this info manually.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I used RC 1 for few days. The GUI was improved otherwise all the same features but seemed better in perforamnce and they claimed so as well. However as Zopzop tested it failed with KillDisk virus and even I got teh same results. They told me that they will fix it but I am not sure they did or not.

8. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

Pity, just after I posted about my 'discovery' here . It's now more in line with the features of the free unregistered sandboxie.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2006
  9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

The link is not correct.

10. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya it,s Ok now.

12. steven.edw

steven.edw Registered Member

found out in castlecops.com that they run this beta program and you can get their new pro version 2.10 free of charge for beta testers.

http://www.castlecops.com/print-1-164865.html

The link to their beta program was broken so I contacted their support (support@trustware.com), provided my details and got the full version for free...

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

As I know they already released RC1version that I have and probably RC 2 must have been released until now.

14. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

I can't access the beta registration too. Hopefully I get a free full version.

Btw, the product description says it's $49.95 but on the purchase page, it's $29.95.

Edit: Beta has ended. :(

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  15. steven.edw

who cares..I got it for free...

16. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

So they are no longer accepting beta testers?.

17. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

You should only run threat gate in your virtualisation/sanbox program (like DVD-Rom, Floppy drive, P2P, Internet, E-mail). My son runs Antivir + SSM + BufferZone. When he games and is on a well known server he only runs CyberHawk (disables SSM, Antivr + BufferZone). He is free from virusses for two years now with that behavior (mostly BatlleField gamer).

A server of a game could contain spyware and virusses, but the gaming community would ban it very soon. So he only starts up CB for speed (off course with Watcher you could check the changes made on your computer and use windows system recovery to roll back to a previous clean state).

A known game server is what is called in security terms "an open trusted community". It is safer than an open untrusted community (like the internet). Still with only CB on you accept some risk, in gain for speed.

18. KikiBibi

That's what they(BufferZone) told me yesterday.
    Some info I got from them in case you are wondering, 29.95 is promotion price and annual maintenance is 19.95.

I can't start Boot into Windows(BSOD) after installing BufferZone. My security setup is AVG IS, BOClean, FD-ISR, WinPatrol Plus and SSM. Any of these apps are known issues?

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U need to write to them. or try on a clean snapshot of FDISR, just to see.

20. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: If I remember it correctly. FD-ISR does have some compatability issues with some sandbox/virtualization apps such as Sahdowusers, DeepFreeze. Perhaps BufferZone is one of them as well. I would post a question (or create a new thread here at FD-ISR section). Good luck.

21. steven.edw

write to support@trustware.com and ask to register for the beta - they will ask you couple of questions and then let you download the full version.

22. KikiBibi

Tried to register for beta by emailing them but I was told "beta was over". And that's yesterday.

23. steven.edw

strange, they let me register with no problems...

24. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

I had started a Thread a month before the above post about BufferZone.{link to post} {link to entire thread}

My desire had been just to use it to protect my rarely used IE6 (Excite.com's Email requires :eek: lowest privacy settings) and unlike sandboxie, it works for me.

I have been very pleased with the Free Single App for Internet Explorer and am still using version 1.9 and from what has been said here, I better stay with 1.9 *puppy*

I did follow zopzop's advice to open Firefox in BufferZone from a right-click menu and that worked perfectly as well. :thumb:

I take this to mean that after an 'upgrade' (from 1.9 to 2.1) that there would be no way backo_O

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I downloaded latest version from beta tester area and played a bit with it.
    I am disappointed by the fact that there was no improvement in the application launch time. All bowsers take a lot more time to load inside BufferZone.
    Virtual DeskTop function is also not so well or may eb I could not understand it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.