Budgie Desktop – You Shall Not Pass!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I've written a somewhat in-depth review of the Budgie desktop, focusing on setup and configuration, look and feel, fonts, ergonomics, customization, everyday use, unique features, various problems. All that and more in my latest OCS-Mag article. Have fun, fun, fun.

http://www.ocsmag.com/2017/08/31/budgie-desktop-you-shall-not-pass/

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The appearance is a lot like Mac OSX from which it draws its visual cues and overall inspiration.

An easy to use desktop without all the teething problems of GNOME and that just gets out of the way to let users run a desktop.

FWIW, Mrk - it is available in its own Ubuntu flavor - Ubuntu Budgie.

3. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I see no point in Budgie; not when Gnome can be customized pretty much whichever way.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Norman, yup, I did mention UB in the review. Not sure about the OSX similarity.
    Mrk

5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The top panel and the plank dock.

That's also found in Elementary OS. There is a family resemblance in UNIX systems.

6. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

The last time I tried it you could move the panel to the bottom but it wouldn't autohide unfortunately. Other than that, which for me is a must, I thought it was really solid. That was maybe a year ago using Solus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.