bt home hub

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    i have a bt home hub and i have two questions
    1. where are the dns settings i want to change them to to use openDNS like i used on the bt voyager 2091
    2. earlier the router lights kept on going on and off in a certain pattern which i thought was a firmware update so i let it finish then checked the webinterface and it still has the same firmware. i deleted the default admin account and added a admin account with a hard to crack username and password so im the only one who can access it.
    it took ages when the lights turn on and off in a pattern.
    do you think bt tryed to update the firmware remotely but couldnt due to the default admin account not being there so they couldn't access it?
    i dont want to put the default admin account back because the username and password was admin admin and is very unsafe but i want the latest firmware
    lodore

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi lodore,
    is this that you have just changed to the bt home hub? As I understand after setting up theres a waiting time (upto 10hrs) and the lights can flash away for awhile.

As for DNS I dont think you can change it on there - going through a browser, 192.168.1.254 (for bt page) etc etc - you haven't found it yourself, so goto your connections and change it.
    Network connections-select your connections properties-then goto use the following DNS server addresses.

Hey lodore when you gonna use btnorton?:eek: :D

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes i have got changed to the bt home hub and got it two days ago.
    i will just change the dns settings via the connection then.
    i wont even use Norton even if its free wait it is free:D

mainly i was wondering if they needed to login to the default account on the router aka user name admin password admin to remote upgrade it?
    because i deleted that account and the lights turned on and off in a certain pattern yesterday but it didnt update the firmware.
    but at the time the connection speeds where going up and down so that could of been bt where trying to get the best connection speed they could but it took ages.
    if you do need the default admin account i will be really annoyed because having an admin account on the router with username and password admin is a big security risk.
    lodore

4. Meriadoc

Er I shouldn't of thought so you'd probably have to do that if told or you had a problem with the hub.
    Heres a nice bthub page. They also got free help over the phone.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks ill read that link.
    ill try and find the free bt phone numbers
    lodore

6. Meriadoc

Hi,
    BT Home Hub help desk - 0845 600 7030.
    It seems upgrades to the bt home hub firmware are automatically delivered over the broadband line. Also theres a firmware recovery tool if you run into problems, reference to the info I've just given you is on that page also.
    Have you got the BT Broadband Desktop Help, help and auto fixes - note it puts an icon in the notification area and looks for an update everytime you start up.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

do you mean it looks for an update for the bt home hub every login?
    thanks for the telephone number
    i got rid of all most of the bt stuff a while ago and got rid of bt broadband desktop help last but i might install it again
    lodore

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  8. Meriadoc

I'm not sure when the home hub looks for an update, (my experiance is with the bt business a/c with the '2Wire' router) but its automatic.
    The download BT Broadband Desktop Help tool though looks for an update every login.
    Here's a helpful gal, Ms. Emma Btbot. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.