BSODs and other problems

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by JaffaCakes933, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaffaCakes933

JaffaCakes933 Registered Member

Hello,

Im starting to get sick of this suite. I heard it was a very good antivirus and firewall but I have had more and more problems.

Okay, I can't play some of my online games (e.g. Flight Simulator using SquawkBox (an online ATC multiplayer server)) without uninstalling NOD32, and when it is installed I will see maybe and eighth of the amount of players I should do.

Also, I have encountered numerous BSODs, and I finally worked out how to read the minidumps and found out that a file (epfwtdi.sys) linked to NOD32 is causing these.

I bought the software someone in January I think. Do you think they would give me a refund for the rest of the year I have paid for?

Thanks

P.S. Basic System Specs:
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64BIT
    Intel Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    ASUS P5K WiFi-AP Motherboard
    Gainward 8800GT 512mb

2. s4u

s4u Registered Member

what was your previous set up?
    Sounds like something is bothering

3. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

I would be more suspicious of the firewall than the AV portion of ESS or maybe even the real time protection since it scans Internet traffic real time. I would also suggest running the firewal in interactive mode first, that way if it is the culprit, it will prompt you for blocked traffic then run the game in window mode (not full screen mode) so you can see any prompts from ESS. I would then try turning off one component at a time until the problem stops or at a minimum changes the behavior.....

Do you have any idea what TCP/UDP ports these games use?

Good luck and post the results please....

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The best would be if you could enable complete memory dumps, reproduce the BSOD and send us the memory dump for perusal (we can provide you ftp access, if necessary).

5. JaffaCakes933

I already have the firewall in interactive mode, thats the way I like my firewalls!

I didn't have this running on another setup before, the reason I got it was because ZoneAlarm wouldn't run on 64BIT systems and I had heard great things about ESS.

6809 TCP
    3290 UDP

6073 UDP
    23456 UDP
    2302 UDP
    2400 UDP

Those are ALL the ports that are needed. I can see planes when on normal Multiplayer, but not when playing using squawkbox for ATC, so really only the top two ports matter. It seams that lots of ESS users have problems like this one.

How would I go about enabling full memory dumps?
    The thing with the BSOD is, its random, I will go away, come back again and will find a BSOD waiting for me.

I have tried disabling all components of ESS but with no luck, i have totally uninstall it to get my multiplayer working.

6. JaffaCakes933

I updated to the latest version to see how it goes, but it still doesn't fix my game problem.

7. yoni63

yoni63 Registered Member

Was kind of hoping I could get this topic going again. Below are my system specs, I'll try to type this out in a clear format as I know not everyone here is a flight simmer and unfamiliar with some of that stuff.

When on flight sim, and playing online using FSInn (Program for live air traffic control via Vatsim and similar to Squawkbox) I cannot see the other aircraft.

In a separate window that is displayed in FSInn, I see the list of other aircraft so I know that "some" of the data is getting to me, just not the visuals.

Now, for the AV part of this. Forum after forum says that third party AV programs are the issue for this problem. Thus, when I totally un-install my AV program, it fixes the problem.

I started out with Norton (preinstalled) then went to Avast, then to Kaspersky (Avast/Kaspersky free versions). Trick to all this is, you can totally disable your AV program and it won't help, you have to totally uninstall to get this problem to correct. I have even tried placing the program into the exclusion lists on all these AV programs, no luck.

I'm curious as to what would be common in these AV programs that is causing this one function in this program to not work. Weather info, communication, everything else works, just not the visuals on the other aircraft that other players are piloting.

My system is HPd4999t/Vista Home Prem 32bit SP1/Intel 2quad (Q9450)
    512mb NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT/ and I am using Flight Simulator 9.1.
    currently no AV protection other than my onboard windows stuff until I can figure this out. Hope I didn't leave anything out.

Bryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.