BSOD Stop 0x000000008E (0xC0000005,

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by pratzert, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

Over the past year I have been struggling with the dreaded BSOD on my desktop.

It comes and goes and does not show consistantly.

But over the last two days, I have been fighting it..... please let mw know what you think and your suggestions to correct it.

I boot up and "usually" the windows screen will come up and show the "Users".

I enter my password and sometimes it gets further than at other times.... it starts to load my personal settings and then goes into the BSOD.

Stop: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0x8057760C, 0xA92FC988, 0x00000000)

There is no other information about the error.

It DOES boot up in Safe Mode.

Sometimes when I try to boot up again and again, it will finally boot up under my user name.

Rollback Rx worked once when I went back a whole week or so. But then, even after using that snapshot, it would not boot up properly and I once again got the BSOD.

I ran Memtest for 18 hours without a single error so I suspect it's something else besides a bad memory module.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Does the error reference a specific program or process as being the cause of the stop error? You should also check your System event logs to see if there is any further info you can use to narrow this down...

You can also check this page at Ahuma to see if any of the listed errors match what you are seeing:

http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

HTH
    Mike

3. pratzert

Unfortunately, there are no additonal references to the error.

The only thing displayed are those stop error "codes".

I'll have to figure out how to look at the event logs.

I did it once before, but it's been a while.

Thanks, Tim

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  4. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

... and run CHKDSK.

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

6. pratzert

Thanks.

I'll check it when I get home from work today...... "IF" I can get it to boot.

Tim

7. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Try WhoCrashed.

8. pratzert

Here is what I have done.

I had left MemTest running all day too when I went to work. Now Memtest did show 4 memory errors. That was the first time I ever had Memtest return any errors. Thinking it may have been an anomoly, I started Memtest over again and let it run for 2 hours and got no errors.

I tried numerous attempts to get my machine to boot up, but I consistantly got the BSOD.

I did, one time, get an additonal error message about the cdrom.sys but that was the first and only time I got an additional message.

Out of desparation, I reverted to trying my luck with RollBack Rx.

I just kept going back further into the snapshots unitl I finally got one to boot up about a week prior in time.

I did go and look at the event viewer and found numerous yellow triangle alerts, most of which had a reference to MSSQL.

What is odd about the event viewer was it had current dates and events logged. How can that be ? If I used Rollback Rx to rollback a week, how could there have been events that were current? Does the event logger save the events in some hidden area that rollback leaves alone ?

I quickly ran Microsofts OneCare free safety scanner. It came up with a the Trojan vundo. So I let MS scanner take care of any errors or problems it found.

When I left home this morning I left my Symantec Corp. Anti-Virus running and I'll see if it comes up with anything.

So I have a hodge-podge of things.... a couple of Memtest errors, some event errors with MSSQL ( and a few others ), a trojan and who knows what else.

I'll report back about what, if anything, Symantec finds. Maybe it all had to do with some driver that was installed when I downloaded a couple of programs from GiveAwayoftheDay.

I'll have to look for "WhoCrashed".

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.