BSOD on laptops

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mastj25, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mastj25

mastj25 Registered Member

Last Thursday we started to see a few of our laptops bsod after a reboot, prior to logon. Friday we had a few more and Monday even more. I have found that disabling NOD makes the bsod's stop and then a full uninstall and reinstall of NOD takes care of the issue. This happened to both our Toshiba laptops and our Lenovo's, and didn't touch a single desktop. Was there a bad signature file that came out on Thursday that could be causing this and has anyone else experienced this issue? We actually currently still have one laptop that will bsod, every time NOD is reinstalled to it. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

what version Nod installed? latest one has fixes related to some laptop makes

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Make sure you have EAV 4.2.35 installed. BSOD may also occur if there's a problem with another driver installed in the system that causes instability in conjunction with ESET drivers because of the badly written code.

4. mastj25

I am running 4.0.467 on most computers. I have tried unintstalling that version and installing 4.2.35 a couple of different times and the laptops still continue to bsod. The laptops that I thought were fixed are starting to bsod again as well. I guess I will have to try to figure out what driver it is confliciting with, any ideas what drivers I should start with?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  5. Marcos

A kernel memory dump created during BSOD will be required for analysing the cause of the crash. Please follow these instructions to configure the system to generate kernel memory dumps and reproduce BSOD. Let me know when done so that I can provide you further instructions where to upload the dump.

6. mastj25

I have the file that you requested. What should I do now?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  7. mastj25

I have tracked down that the ehdrv.sys file is what is crashing the system. Removing that driver will allow the computer to boot. Not sure how removing that file comprimises NOD though.

8. Marcos

Does the problem persist with the driver loaded and pre-release updates enabled?

9. mastj25

Yes, still having the issue with the driver loaded and pre-release updates enabled. Would you like me to upload the dump file somewhere? Thanks for your help.

10. mastj25

We are seeing another wave of laptops with bsod's this morning, so any insight would be appreciated. Currently we are just disabling ehdrv.sys and that is getting our users back up and working. What are we disabling in NOD when we disable this driver? Thanks.

11. Marcos

Hello mastj25,
    your BSOD is caused by the driver RapDrv.sys which is part of the software ISS Proventia (c:\program files\iss\proventia desktop). The driver is more than 3 years old so we strongly suggest that you obtain the latest version of the driver or uninstall that software to prevent BSOD from occuring.

12. mastj25

Thanks Marcos,

Unfortunately, we have a couple different versions of that file on the computers that are having this issues, latest one is December of 2009. I did try a newer install of proventia to the computer I sent you the dump file on and BSOD at the end of the install. I did notice that it did not replace the Rapsrv.sys file though.

If we were to leave the ehdrv driver disabled as the fix, what are we breaking with NOD?

Thanks.

13. Marcos

Perhaps you could try uninstalling that application completely. What does it serve for? With ehdrv disabled, ESET won't be protected and threats can terminated its crucial processes (especially ekrn).

14. mastj25

This is our firewall software on our laptops that we have been using for years. I am curious as to why this is just starting to pop up, since we have been running this version of NOD for almost 6 months. I have had some BSOD's with a version of the RapDrv.sys from Dec 2009 as well. Not really sure how to proceed from here, since we have hundreds of laptops running both Proventia and NOD 4.0 now.

15. bachor

bachor Registered Member

I had BSODs on my Dell laptop too with 4.0.467. But not only, services (even system) where randomly crashing with 0xc0000005 error. Most often it happend after I woke up system from sleep mode.. only full reboots gave me longer stability.(windows reinstallations didn't help)
    I almost killed tech support from dell (they didn't know how to help, everything with hardware was ok).. but.. it was eset eav problem.

Problem seems to be solved for me in 4.2.35.. yeah, I spent about 1 year trying to trace those problems.

16. bradtech

bradtech Registered Member

Your best bet is to get involved with the engineers at ESET when you have problems. I spent weeks chasing my tail with a Netware issue...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.