BSOD from PG install

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Eliot, Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eliot

Eliot Registered Member

I have ran PG on many installs recently. This last one, I made an image prior to doing so thank god. I get BSOD upon every reboot after the install, then next boot is fine. (BSOD, reboot fine, BSOD, reboot fine.). Please tell me what info you need about my system to get this resolved. Here is my software lineup that runs upon boot:

NOD32 (full version)
    TDS-3 (full version)
    Creative Labs sound volume button (tray)
    Acronis True Image(2 schedule/monitor files in background)
    Intellitype for MS Keyboard

I have no software firewall so far, just router with hardware firewall

EDITED: I have the full paid for PG. Not trial. ;)

2. Eliot

Eliot Registered Member

OK. Update on the problem. I have removed the startup of PG itself(just the gui). Protection is still enabled. I boot with no problem and the "kernel-mode attach error" went away as well. I guess this is a bug that will be looked into or already has been. I hope the next version will allow me to have it run on startup. I like to have the access to the window log on PG handy. Manual startup og PG after boot until then :rolleyes:

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Welcome Eliot & a Happy New Year,

Regarding your BSOD , I have had a BSOD on first reboot occasionally, usually after installing apps that work at system level and require a reboot to work properly such as some widows updates, AV's & other security applications.
    Basically it is a start up timing issue which DCS are fully aware of.
    What I do to reduce these is to disable PG protection whilst doing any Windows Updates or when installing system level apps, then re-enabling PG after reboot.
    I have also found that running BootViz can reduces these timing issues.

HTH Pilli

4. Eliot

Eliot Registered Member

Just taking the startup of the program out and leaving the protection enabled has fixed it. I don't really need the program running as I can just run it if I need to edit my protect list. Thanks for the info Pilli just incase I had not stumbled onto that prior. :D

5. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

I had too BSOD and / or reboot just after i enter my login and password,
    i never had that before but it might be related to PG.
    I will try to not launch the GUI at start at all to see what happens.

6. gkweb

since i remove the GUI from starting area, i haven't any BSOD, i just launch it when i want to change settings.

but i have a question : if something happens (a process trying to write into another one and which is blocked) will i see the log entry the next time time i will start PG in the log window ?

7. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Thanks for the findings guys. I guess the program starting up on some systems SOMETIMES causes a BSOD if the program is running on startup!

I will try and find a remedy for this. Also.. when installing operating system patches, fixes, new SYSTEM software, please make sure you disable PG's protection. :)

-Jason-

8. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Have had the same type of occurrences very frequently (both BSOD and Kernel mode). Problems dramatically increased in frequency after I installed a new 2.8 ghz Pentium IV to replace my 1.8 ghz Pentium IV, installed a new Western Digital hard drive and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro...and completely rebuilt software system. Dramatic improvement in computer performance.

I put an icon for PG in my Quick Launch bar and removed the startup of PG on reboot. No problems since doing this.

9. gkweb

I get rid of all my BSOD, even those happening far later after the boot (explorer.exe start to crash because something can't be written, and then all other process crash too, ert...) just by not starting the GUI and only opening it manually to modify settings.

And i repeat my question : if something happens while the PG GUI isn't started, when i will open PG, will i see entries in the log window or are they only written if PG GUI is started ?

10. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Only when the PG gui is running at the moment GKWEB. I could change this to store up to 256 entries when it isn't running, that would probably be best.

-Jason-

11. gkweb

Yes, that's sound a really good improvment :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.