BSOD caused by npkcrypt.sys

Discussion in 'hardware' started by GiftRift, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GiftRift

GiftRift Registered Member

Hello everybody! I'm having a small problem with my computer, almost the same as this fellow right here was having : https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=227479

Basically if the BSOD doesn't give me the file name npkcrypt.sys it will say a bunch of stuff about memory dumping, 99.9% of the time it's npkcrpyt.sys, now what I know from doing my own research and also reading his thread is that this file is a Gameguard default file created by NCSOFT Inca corp that must be ran while the game is playing which is somehow causing an interference with my computer, it has been happening for the last while or so and for the longest time i've been able to ignore it but now it's happening at least 3-5 times a day and becoming a real pain in the ass.

I'm going to try and use autoruns and disable it or go into my services but I don't think it will be the same case as xMarkx as he can disable it when he isnt playing(Which was what was causing the BSOD in his case, just having the file), meanwhile in my case I play it alot of the time and it only happens when I play it so I cant just disable it when i'm not playing it because I dont really get it when i'm not playing it.

If you have any ideas what could be causing it/how to fix it I would love to hear them and i'll pretty much consider anything. Thanks a million guys.:'(

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Next time, get the BSOD error number and complete description. Does it only do it when playing this game - or other times too?

BSODs generally mean a hardware conflict someone - either with drivers, or often memory. I would check for the latest graphics drivers. I might also test the RAM. You can test RAM using one of the following programs. Both require you to create and boot to a bootable floppy disk or CD to run the diagnostics. Using the floppy method is generally easier (and another reason to include floppy drives in new builds. However, the CD method is just as effective at detecting RAM problems. Allow the diagnostics to run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors.

Windows Memory Diagnostic - see the easy to follow instructions under Quick Start Information.
    or
    MemTest86+ (for more advanced users) - an excellent how-to guide is available here.​

3. GiftRift

Address BA38A5D9 Base at BA388000

I'll try some of the things you suggested but I doubt it's going to help as i've reinstalled drivers plenty of times, It only happens when I play the game. :/

4. Bill_Bright

I am looking for the full error, including the stop code, such as Stop: 0x0000001E (often seen as Stop 0x1E).
    You should still test your RAM
    And if your heat is controlled, and your drivers work, you need to start looking elsewhere, like RAM, an area of which that particular game may be (trying) to use. Did you check the maker for an update?

5. GiftRift

Next time I get it I will get the rest of the code for you, no I have not contacted the maker as of yet, how can I find out what area of the RAM the game is using?

6. Bill_Bright

Well, it is hard to run memory mappers on a system that kills the system so I suppose you would have to reverse engineer the program - probably not something the authors (or the authorities) would like seeing - hence the reason to test RAM with testers, programs designed to reach into every nook, crack and cranny of each memory module.

7. GiftRift

STOP 0X00000BE (0X8054015E, 0X00540121, 0XA5FE1A44, 0X0000000B)

8. Bill_Bright

9. GiftRift

0x000000BE: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
    (Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article.)
    A driver attempted to write to read-only memory. Commonly occurs after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a driver file is named in the error message, try to correct the problem by disabling, removing, or rolling back the driver.

1. Reinstalled my drivers, "System service" Not sure if that could be causing it, havent installed FW. No drivers named in the error message, only npkcrypt.sys

10. Bill_Bright

But you are using a FW, right? At least Windows Firewall?

11. GiftRift

Yes I am.

12. Bill_Bright

Good. Were you able to run through that Troubleshooting link?

13. GiftRift

I ran through it but I didnt see any problems with recent drivers I installed, or my FW or a system service :/ going to test memory tomorrow.

14. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

(1)Are you using Windows XP or Windows Vista?
    -->GameGuard (as far as I can remember anyways) is not fully compatible with Windows Vista.

(2)Is your antivirus McAfee?
    -->That's the antivirus I was using when I was getting the BSODs. Probably isn't a factor but you never know.

(3)Have you tried to completely reinstall the game and GameGuard?

(4)Have you scanned your machine for viruses?
    -->It could be (maybe) a virus.

(5)What game do you play that requires GameGuard?

Regards,

Mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.