Bryce5 absolutely free!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Uguel707, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

I just read that for a limited time, DAZ 3D Content Software offers Bryce 5 absolutely FREE! Through September 6, 2006, you can download Bryce 5.0 for no charge via DAZ3D.com. I personally own this software since a couple of months and it is one of the best I ever had for doing 3D landscapes graphics. You might have a look at the gallery & tutorials to see what you can achieve with Bryce 3D. ;)

http://www.daz3d.com/?trid=919467712

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Are you sure it's the right link, because it doesn't work in Belgium ?

3. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

The link worked fine (tried it 2 times before posting) but I just edited it again and put a regular address instead of a tiny URL. Maybe this one works better for you? o_O

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Uguel, Thank you very much. I am not interested in this, but I know someone who might be so I am passing the word, thanks again. :thumb:

Acadia

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    How does it compare to say Sketchup or Maya?
    Mrk

6. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    It looks overwhelming, just too much.
    Is there some help, something ... because I'm lost like a child ...
    Mrk

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

The downloaded file is named Bryce5FreeVersionPC.zip.
    Does that mean that this is a different release? Or limited in some way?

Anyway, thank you very much for the heads-up!

8. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

This is very cool. :cool:

Thanks for letting us know Uguel. :)

9. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Mrk,

It's primary focus is scenery and terrain creation, but can be used in other ways too. It's interface is a little different, but it is a very nice program.

It is more like e-onsoftware's Vue series.

10. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hey, you're welcome Acadia! :)

-----------------------

It is hard to compare Bryce and Maya because they represent two quite different ways of creating. In Maya you can model a character almost by starting from scratch or just like you were starting modeling with a ball of clay with the help of many different tools such as NURBS Modeling, Polygonal Modeling, SubDivision Surface Modeling (those are the few tools I remember, I do not use Maya anymore, I found it too huge!) In Bryce, there are many pre-made skies, water surfaces, trees, clouds, rocks that you can choose from, and each time you choose one, you can modify it with the Edit Material button. In Maya, you can model cars or any objects, people, animals and so on from scratch. Maya also allows you to download presets or pre-made objects too but you must pay for them. Although Bryce focus mainly on landscapes, you can add pre-made objets or create simple objects in it that you will find in the program library. The way it generally works is you choose an existing image or object and then you can edit it or modify it to, say, change the colour, texture, and so on. Both can animate but the animations (although I never tried this feature yet) seems to be simpler to do in Bryce. There are less controls to deal with compared to Maya or any big 3D applications. Maya is a huge and complex application whereas Bryce is much simpler & lighter. The only thing I find a bit hard on resources in Bryce is the Rendering. Apart from that, it works fine!

Sketch up allows you to build the foundation and the walls of a structure,
    in a way that looks more like an architectural plan before you add any texture
    whereas in Bryce, you can start building structures or shapes directly with the texture on so that the end result will look more realistic. Actually, with Bryce, the results look more like photographs whereas Sketchup graphics look more like drawings. :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  11. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

yes, there is help. For a start, I would advise you to start learning with the help documentation provided in the program in order to know how to load a sky, a groundplain terrain or tree and then after a week or two, you might start following Bryce tutorials provided at Daz 3D.:)

12. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

You are very welcome Devinco!!! :)

------------------------------------

Hi! if you downloaded it from the link I gave then you must have got the right one!;)
    They offer it for free and you pay only if you want to upgrade it.

here what's the deal is about:

...Basically folks it's free.. but it won't be for long. A lot of people had to pay for this program and after this offer ends, a lot more people will find themselves paying for it (Only people with v5+ will be eligible to upgrade to v6. So should you not download it and decide at a later date you want Bryce v6, you'll have to purchase 5 first). And it really is a good little program. You won't be creating stunning artworks in five minutes but it won't take you five months either. It is a solid little program capable of making some really beautiful images and animations with a bit of practice... If you're interested you might as well try it.. you really don't have anything to lose price-wise.

Source:

http://www.download.com/Bryce-Presets/3640-6677_4-10575124.html

To conclude, the program remains free as long as you do not upgrade it to
    a superior version.

13. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

14. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Thanks.
    Mrk

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,

When I try to execute the Bryce5 .exe (to install the program), it gives me a registration number which I should subsequently rewrite in another window to register on their webpage.

As soon as I click 'continue' a message notifies me that the registration number is incorrect. Not only I can't proceed with the registration but my OS freezes and I have to hit the start button to get my computer to reboot.

I've tried twice with the same results... A real pity to miss out. Any ideas as why this is happening?

(PG and RD are disabled, and my browser is Opera 9.01)

16. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hey Osaban,

After reading your post, I went to Bryce's forum and apparently you are not
    the only person reporting that issue. People were having similar problems when
    came the time to register. One of the forum team, Darlisa gave this advise to the subscribers.(see screenshot below) I would recommend that you try it again and if, for whatever reason, it still doesn't work, you might ask for help directly at their forum. I had the same problems registering to DAZ when I downloaded another program, DAZ 3D, from their company, a lady assisted me and I could finally register. This is such a nice application and it would be a shame that people couldn't get it because of some weird glitch. ;)

this is the addresses given in the screenshot
    https://www.daz3d.com/program/bryce/breg.

Attached Files:

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi Uguel,

thanks for your assistance, but unfortunately I had no luck whatsoever.

I have the feeling that it could be available only in the US as your link https://www.daz3d.com/program/bryce/breg. can't be found. I'll visit their forum when I have some time.

18. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Have been able to regiser here in the U.K. Make sure your browser/firewall is set to allow script/referer/cookies when registering. (I did have some problems at first due to these being blocked/filtered)

Uguel707,
    Thanks for the info on this

19. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

I don't think it is a link that you can access directly. Probably you can get there after you entered your registration code only because I also get an error too when clicking on it.

It might be a good idea to try Stem's advise and, worst to worst,
    if you are still having difficulties, try to register using Internet Explorer only
    for the time of the registration.

Also, if you go to the Bryce forum, not only you can find advise on how
    to download the program but also on how to install free presets for Bryce.
    When arriving on the page (after loging in), go to their Menu > Forum >
    Bryce Talk > Registering Bryce, page 1.
    If you scroll down a little bit (8th post) you will see some
    useful explanations on how to install your presets.:)
    So I am giving the presets address that will come very handy
    for when you will get the program.

http://www.download.com/Bryce-Presets/3000-6677_4-10575124.html

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  20. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hey, you're welcome Stem! :)

Well, I am very glad that you were able to download it and
    finally got the program. Did you use Internet Explorer or
    Firefox to register? Some people find the registration difficult
    maybe having the same browser and settings you had might help.;)

Also, you might be interested to get free presets
    for Bryce5 available at download.com.

http://www.download.com/Bryce-Presets/3000-6677_4-10575124.html

21. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Uguel707,
    I used Firefox to register, the problems I had at first where due to the fact I had "refcontrol and Noscript" extensions which blocked the referer/script, and I had set firefox/tools/options/privacy to not allow sites to set cookies. Once I had changed these settings to allow the site, all was O.K.

The free presets,.. yes, the program does prompt for these to be downloaded, which I now have thanks.

22. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

hey, thanks for the tip Stem! ;)

Right, not allowing scripts or cookies can cause issues with some browser. Oh, I did not know that the program prompted you to download the presets.. wow, that's cool! :cool:

Also, bear in mind that apart from .obj files there are many other file formats that are compatible with Bryce. If you google for them you will find a great deal of objets with the following extensions:

TrueSpace (.cob) Versions up to 4.0 are supported. Material properties are supported.
    VideoScape (.vsa) All versions are fully supported.
    VRML1 (.wrl) Imports all properties relevant to Bryce, including camera, light, and surface and material textures.
    LightWave (.lwo or .lws) Both objects and scenes are supported. The camera, lights, and all objects (with material information) are imported. Versions 6 and up are not supported.
    Heightfield (.hf) Used to import descriptions of heightfields (terrains).
    USGS DEM (.dem) All forms of DEM files are supported.
    USGS SDTS (.ddf) This format is the new USGS format which will replace DEM files.
    Portable Greyscale Map (.pgm) Used to import descriptions of heightfields (terrains).
    3d Studio® Objects (.3ds)
    3DMF (.3mf)
    AutoCad® (.dfx)
    Direct 3D (.x)
    Wavefront (.obj)
    WCS Elev (.elev)
    WorldToolKit® (.nff)

They will work for Bryce 5 and above. Once you downloaded the files, you can
    open them in Bryce by going to the Menu > File > Import.

23. pykko

pykko Registered Member

thanks Uguel very much! I'm downloading it right now. Hope I won't have any problems registering it.

Anyway, as it has been suggested before a special forum section should be created here at Wilders: "Special offers & free programs - limited offers" or something similar. :)

24. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Your welcome pykko! I wish you will get it all right.;) You will have so much fun creating pictures with that program. I found it much easier than Maya Learning Edition and plus, since it is the real thing, there wont be a big 4x4
    annoying watermark left on your pictures.

Anyway, as it has been suggested before a special forum section should be created here at Wilders: "Special offers & free programs - limited offers" or something similar

Up to now, most of the updates or free stuff are posted here in the General Services Forum. So you might come here from time to time to check if there's anything new added. Maybe they might consider this suggestion if they find space enough for a new section...I can't say.

25. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

hey, just to let you know that DAZ has extended their generous offer.
    So those who did not know about the free Bryce 3D release have more time to download it.

This DAZ special offer is available only at Download.com and will absolutely end on September 20, 2006! So don't delay in picking up this gift of one of the finest landscaping and animation software applications available anywhere.

http://www.daz3d.com/program/bryce/bryce5free.php

Thanks to Terryala at Gladiators to let me know about this! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.