Browsers - "tabs on bottom"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SweX, Jan 5, 2015.

1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

good point.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes I know, that's what the browser devs say is the reason behind having them "on top".

And my answer is, I want them "on bottom" because it feels more natural and instead I choose to have less "view space" than have my tabs "on top".

No whining, it's only what I prefer and how I want it.

P.S Surprise Surprise I also choose to have my browser menu bar visible as well. :ouch:

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, Firefox is trying to be like Chrome, it's a shame. What I loved about browsers like Maxthon and Avant is the amazing amount of options, no need to download extensions for basic functionality. Now that I think of it, IE never offered any extensive tab options, it has always been on top.

Perhaps we should ask about it on the Maxthon forum. And BTW, this functionality is still present in v2.5, so they removed it in v3, like I said earlier.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

So 2.5 still had the Gecko engine then? That must be what I remember. IIRC at around that time Mx had a shed-load of really good skin options, then unfortunately it went all Win 8 ugly with v3. At least they've improved the aesthetic look a bit. ;)

*Shed-load ~ British slang for 'a lot'. :D

5. Rasheed187

@ Daveski17

That's the thing, if I'm correct, Maxthon can offer this feature with all Trident and Gecko versions. But in V3 they chose to switch to Webkit, and only then this option disappeared, so perhaps it has got something to do with Chromium based engines.

6. Rasheed187

Seems like you was right, it can indeed be done with the WebKit engine. :)

EDIT: Seems like Vivaldi is not using WebKit but Blink.

https://vivaldi.com/

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  7. Daveski17

Yes, I remember experimenting a lot with v3's options. Vivaldi seems promising , I haven't tried it yet though. I take it the 'Vivaldi' title is suggestive of the word 'Opera' lol. I'd have preferred 'Puccini' as a name for the browser myself. :argh:

8. Rasheed187

To clarify, it's NOT possible with Maxthon v3, but Vivaldi proves that you can offer this feature on a Blink/Chromium based browsers. So the developers of Maxthon, Chrome and Opera Blink, are idiots if you ask me.

9. Daveski17

Oh right. I do remember it though. I think when Vivaldi is a bit more developed it could be good. Maybe the Maxthon devs thought it was superfluous code or something?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.