Browser Statistics are Rubbish

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by John Bull, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I am really looking for a rational view on all the web data we get on browser usage.

My information is that everybody on Planet Earth who uses Windows MUST have IE installed in order to update Windows. I have IE for this purpose and it is a nice icon on my desktop, but apart from Windows updating, it does nothing since I use Firefox as my default browser.

With this in mind, it seems that Microsoft IE has theoretically 100% of the market. But we all know this is utter crap as many of us use a variety of browsers and IE is just a piece of deadwood on our machines, only needed for Windows updating.

So, what is it all about ? Browser usage statistics are meaningless. If IE has 100% market share by installation due to mandatory Windows updating, then it must be a really screwball pastime to estimate browser usage worldwide, if one takes the installation statistics of other browsers and simply arrives at an IE usage by deduction. You may as well ask what length is a piece of string.

Quiet frankly, the entire scenario of market browser usage is mental insanity gone haywire. Nobody knows a toss what any browser`s market share is and IE is just a meaningless mess.

The whole aspect of assessing browser usage is a big NO-NO in terms of intellectual ability, so let us forget this idiotic crap once and for all.

Browser usage worldwide ? NOBODY knows ! There are NO statistics available worthwhile looking at. But it sure is not dominated by Microsoft IE. THAT is FACT !

John

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Numbers matter though and can and are used for all kind or purposes. I guess on this occasion it is the marketing that has best use of it. Do I really care who uses what browser, no at all. At the same time there are people who do care for whatever reason. As statistics go, for this, it is most probably a very well educated guess based recorded browser usage and then extrapolated to wider population.

3. Brian_12

Brian_12 Guest

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I don't have IE installed on Win7.

And it has nothing to do with browsers being installed... it's websites that check what browser you are using and they pool the results to see what % of users are x,y, and z.

It doesn't matter if I have 10 browsers installed if I only use one.

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

IE is only needed to update old Windows versions like XP and below.

6. guest

guest Guest

it can also be removed from xp

7. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

No, not really

8. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Every one of you deserve credit for your time and making such sensible comments on an OP that I must say SORRY for posting.

It started off as a good idea at the time (bucking browser stats), but I made a complete hash of compiling and expressing it.

I do not feel it does any favours to the hallowed halls of Wilder`s high standards and perhaps one of our hard working and ever tolerant Mods will do me a favour and delete it.

OK, poor old JB dropped a catch, but we can`t all achieve stardom.

Again - sorry fella`s for wasting your time. I don`t suppose you mind all that much, but it makes me feel bad.

Thank you all
    John

9. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thread closed on request

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.