Browser Security

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by AMD, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMD

AMD Registered Member

Hi, I have Java as an addon on in IE9 but I have learned that it is quite a good leak for viruses to get through to a PC.

Does this sound right and is it recommended to remove Java ?

Also, if running in a Sandbox, would I still need something like Adblock? At the moment I have IE9 and Google Chrome both with WOT and Avast Webrep and not sure if these are needed in Sandbox mode ?

Thanks

Andy

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

If you don't need Java I'd remove it. If you do need Java I suggest you install EMET and force Java to use it.

3. AMD

AMD Registered Member

I installed it not knowing if I needed it or not so I dont really know if its had use or not.

I think I will probably remove it and then see how long it will be before I get a prompt saying its needed

4. Hungry Man

That's a good idea.

5. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

:thumb: I did the same and found out that I don't need it.

As for Adblock I would not remove it. Sandboxie will make your surfing safe, Adblock will remove adds and make your surfing much more clean and enjoyable.

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Java SDK (software development kit) is not required unless you do Java program development on your Windows platform, however, since a majority of web pages are scripted using the facilities of JavaScript, you may need to install Java JRE for your browser to properly process web pages scripted with JavaScript.

Make sure Java is disabled in your browser preferences, but JavaScript is enabled.

-- Tom

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Huh?? I was under the understanding that there's no relation between Java RTE and javascript, js and applets are two totally different beasts.

8. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Disabling Java in IE doesn't actually disable it from running in IE (at least last time I tried it myself). This may sound counter-intuitive, but try disabling it yourself from within the browser and then running a page with a Java applet and you'll see what I mean.

Also, Java is different to Javascript.

9. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi MikeBCda,

I run a Live USB version of Ubuntu (Linux) and have my own setup which installs FF 3.6.28 (I know it is out-of-date, but newer versions can't yet handle my add-ons) in /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.28.

I download Java JRE and in my setup install the latest (now superceeded) jre1.7.0_03 in my home directory aka /home/ubuntu/jre1.7.0_03 directory.

Then in my Firefox profile in /home/ubuntu/.mozilla/plugins I make the following symbolic link to JRE as follows:

libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /home/ubuntu/jre1.7.0_03/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

What you say is essentially correct, however, if you need the support (due to dependencies on web pages) you will have just what you need afaik.

-- Tom

10. Hungry Man

He's saying that Java and JavaScript are different. He's correct.

Java - JavaScript
    Car - Carpet

Two completely separate things.

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Adblock is used for annoying advertisements rather than security concerns. Even if the browser is running under a sandbox Adblock would still be needed as it makes your browsing experience more smooth and convenient.

12. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

Adblock can add to your security because it will block benign as well as malicious ads. But it's just one part of a multi-layered approach.

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

The malware that can creep in through those malicious ads can easily be blocked by any multi-layered security setup. And anyway I personally find mostly ads like shopping discounts, earning money online, one minute av scans, registry scan defrag in sites like Cnet's download.com and this and that.
    I've got enough security in place to prevent any 'malicious ads' if I can find any. I need AdBlock Plus for those non malicious but greatly annoying ads.

14. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

Oh yeah, totally agree. I hate the ads and am happy to block them to make browsing more pleasant for myself. I'm never personally going to click on any ad regardless of whether I block it or not so I suppose it's moot. I was simply pointing out that malicious ads have been known to exist, so blocking them can also increase security. I don't think they're as prevalent now as they were several years ago. It was kind of scary because legitimate sites have been known to host malicious ads - most sites don't vet their ads except to make sure the advertisers are paying the bills.

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I couldn't agree more. You see Brandi it's just that I've never come across a malicious ad and have always considered AdBlock Plus add-on or AdMuncher like software as ways to get rid of the annoying ads and not related to anything malicious.

16. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

That's true. There's some old thread about it, actually. And, back then I found out that if one disable Java in Group Policy Editor, then it gets disabled. So, that's one approach for those needing Java from time to time. A bit crazy, but... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.