Browser Sandboxing on the web

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by dogbite, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

2. guest

guest Guest

No.

I don't trust these people.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Well, it's another marketing lie.

4. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I think is a bit similar to Cameyo or Evalaze but instead of local client/storage we can use cloud resources.
    An interesting info about their technology
    "Spoon is a radical new virtualization technology that allows software to be run instantly over the web. Application state and storage contents synchronize automatically across all devices.

Spoon works by materializing a virtual environment on the endpoint device, dynamically transferring application components required for execution, capturing application interactions with the storage system into a sandbox, and differentially synchronizing the sandbox contents back to the cloud.

Spoon's patented technology stack combines application and storage virtualization with innovative web-based network and synchronization protocols, machine learning algorithms, and proprietary semistructured large data storage systems.

Application Virtualization
    The heart of Spoon is the Spoon Virtual Machine, a lightweight implementation of core operating system APIs, including the filesystem, registry, process, and threading subsystems, completely implemented within the Windows user-mode space. Applications executing within the Spoon virtual environment interact with a virtualized filesystem, registry, and process environment, rather than directly with the host device operating system. The virtualization engine handles requests within the virtualized environment internally or, when appropriate, routes requests to the host device filesystem and registry, possibly redirecting or overriding requests as determined by the virtual application configuration.

The Spoon virtual machine supports application delivery via a small browser plugin, as an embedded technology in third-party systems, or as standalone agentless executables. Because Spoon is a user-mode technology, Spoon can execute applications without any separate client installs, device drivers, or administrative privileges.

The Spoon engine supports merge, override, write-copy, and hide isolation semantics, down to individual file and folder granularity. This allows virtual machine contents to be entirely isolated from, merged with, or hide corresponding locations on the host device. The Spoon virtualization engine dynamically remaps shell folder locations such as My Documents so that proper application behavior is preserved across client operating system versions. Similarly, registry key values containing explicit path names or prefixes are dynamically remapped to the appropriate values for the executing host device."
    More we can find here
    http://spoon.net/technology

5. dogbite

My questions:

I am trying your services with a Free Account. I have also gone through your privacy policy and terms, but I still need some clarification about which kind of data you log/retain.
    I give you an example: I run Chrome, import my bookmarks, extensions, etc. and then I start browsing.
    All the data which are collected by the browser (history, cache, cookies) etc, are logged/visible by you or they are not?
    Also, are uploaded (or downloaded) files which are placed on Spoon stored encrypted or plain?
    Do you have access to those?

Their reply:

Thanks for your questions. None of your browsing data is logged or visible by Spoon. This kind of information is all sandboxed on your local machine.
    Materials uploaded to Spoon are stored in an encrypted state and are not accessible by Spoon.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.

6. guest

guest Guest

They said. :ninja:

7. dogbite

Yeah, but at the end you have to believe it or not. And not just for them, for anything you use (VPN's, OS, etc.).

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

It is great for testing purposes or in a corporate enviroment, but basically it is sandboxing a sandboxed browser at a cost of increased system resources and also by adding another possibly insecure element to the browsing. Lastpass is encrypted too, but it has been hacked 3 times already, so I would rather prefer to keep sensitive data locally only. By the way, Chrome can synchronize browsing among devices as well for free and I do not really see reason to save browser's cache anyway.

9. dogbite

I am carrying on testing spoon. So far I like it. I mean, not to be used for sensitive/confidential stuff, but for general browsing while away from my own PC, it's pretty ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.