Browser privacy feature and extensions discussion thread

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Bertazzoni, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

2. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Before facing the problem it would be necessary to make a list of the methods of attack to our privacy that CERTAINLY require our intervention.
    As an example, I personally think that the e-TAGS "problem" is overestimated and does not require a modification of my current protections.
    Maybe other forum members have an opposite view.

3. plat

plat Registered Member

Trace extension has ETag protection and Google Header removal disabled by default. I enabled them both under Settings/Main Protections/Advanced Protections and then backed them up. Not sure how effective this will be (esp. the Google) but it's worth a try and doesn't add to browser impact. Still have only three ext. per browser.

Maybe ETag protection is over-stated but there must be something concerning, otherwise it wouldn't be factored into these ext. At least that's how I see it. If it turns out to be just another privacy-issue "fad," then off it goes.

:)

4. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

I tend to agree on the subject of eTags but intended this thread to be a wide-ranging discussion of different browsers' privacy features and extensions. Browsers are constantly changing their architecture and strategies, e.g. Firefox's total cookie protection & network partitioning, Brave Adblock soon to be allowing custom filter lists, etc.. These kinds of improvements are somewhat diminishing the need for extensions to do this work or may make users think about switching browsers, etc.

While one of my comments was similar to yours and @Brummelchen I also mentioned that no extension other extension than ClearURLs guards against tracking injection over History API. Where do we see something like this discussed, or e.g., how is history API used for tracking? Do any browsers account for this? etc., etc..

5. plat

plat Registered Member

Well, sometimes I still wonder if Trace is working...at all. So, today I got confirmation that yes: it's still working. I got an email from Sophos today. The content looked like this:

gmailsophos contents.PNG

So I was interested in reading that and clicked on the "Get the Report" button there--I mean, I trust Sophos, right? Trace then gives me this:

trace block.PNG

Turns out it has something to do with Oracle's Eloqua marketing. So, I'm gonna let this one pass. But it's reassuring that Trace was on the job here. :)

6. ClaytonThomas

ClaytonThomas Registered Member

I use Firefox Profile Maker a lot lately. https://ffprofile.com/
    It comes with lots of features to disable telemetry, block fingerprinting and more.
    Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmA8Ex-G5IQ&t=200s

If you need more than one Firefox browsers for Linux, you can install from SnapCraft. Or you can download from the Mozilla website.

7. imdb

imdb Registered Member

Online privacy: Best browsers, settings, and tips by Galen Gruman

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.