Browser privacy: Any advice please

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by slammer_JvA, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Hi.
    Another case of not knowing where to go
    (or which thread to put this in- so, please move if necessary :))

I'm relatively new to this stuff, and not quite sure where to find the answers I'm looking for- that is:
    How to really adjust my firewall.
    At this moment I'm trying SYGATE personel firewall (freeversion); looked at their website, but can't seem to see to forest for the trees (again.. :oops:)

I just visited PC Flank, and did a QuickTest.
    Because this site is related to Outpost I am a little suspicious about the given advice to buy (their) firewall software. (Do I need to be?)
    Nevertheless: I did the test because of wanting to deal with Browser Privacy problems, I encountered earlier.

The result/advice was as follows:

Danger!
    While visiting web sites your browser reveals private information about you and your computer. It sends information about previous sites you have visited. It may also save special cookies on your hard drive that have the purpose of directing advertising or finding out your habits while web surfing.

Recommendation:
    We advise you to get personal firewall software. If you already have a firewall program adjust it to block the distribution of such information.

Can someone here please give me some pointers or tell me where to look?
    Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Slammer

2. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

Not a firewall matter

See

1) Webwasher Classic (good for beginner)

2) Proxomitron (better..with learning curve)

3. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2004
  4. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

They are making a mountain out of a molehill and trying to scare you into buying what you don't need

You can block most advertising tracking cookies by using the correct settings in IE if you have IE6 .tools/options/privacy, click on advanced and either allow 1st party cookies or prompt, depends on your level, of paranoia and block 3rd party cookies

or use the IE spyads file that puts all the known bad sites in restricted zones so they can't dump cookies on you or the ie hosts file to block those sites completely

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm#IESPYAD
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

All browsers give certain information to a web site including last site visited, that is how the referral system works and it's good to know who is referring people to your site.

Blocking these referral headers as certain internet "security" applications try to do severely restricts your ability to surf and prevents many sites working, not least all M$ sites including update, MSN, Hotmail and countlesss others who use browser specific direction to give the best result for your particular browser.

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hey Slammer don't let this individual mess with ya; we like anyone to post around here so long as they're polite and remember to wipe their boots off on the way in :D

Anyway Webwasher, Proxo, IESPYAD or even browser settings... any of those will fix ya right up.

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

7. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Thanks Detox and Gerard!
    I'm using (and studying!) Proxo now, and took another look at my browser settings first.
    If any more questions arise...I'll be back (and take my boots off before entry :D feeling so @ home as a member here ;))

Gerard, you're a nice helper: thanks a lot!
    (Looking for a bridgepartner for some cafédrives in summer by any change? :))

Grtz,
    Slammer

8. micg369

micg369 Registered Member

PLEASE VISIT THIS WEB LINK http://www.avenuea.com/news/releases/20000404.asp
    READ BETWEEN THE LINES OF THE BUSINESS DOUBLE TALK AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK.
    When you see the true picture it's a WHOLE lot bigger then a web surfing annoyance that can be patched, fixed, or bypassed! These people work WITH and FOR companies like DELL, GATEWAY, MICROSOFT, MSN, HOTMAIL, MAIL.COM, CBS SPORTSLINE, and God knows who else, to enter into YOUR computer by way of cookies and gain who knows what information from within your system, and then TRACK your EVERY internet move and transaction. They then put you on lists based on what you look at or buy on the web and sell these lists to businesses that will target you for online ads, popup ads, and SPAM.
    Not only do these SPY programs slow down, and cause problems on your system, they are a CLEAR INVASION OF YOUR PRIVACY!!! Sure, You can choose to block the cookies, but then you will most likely be blocked from certain pages on the internet (and the more they are allowed to get away with this you can be sure the number of blocked pages will grow steadily), and some of these pages may be ones your paying for. I have several Fantasy Baseball teams on CBS SPORTSLINE, I pay to play in those leagues, I had no problem getting around their site getting information about MY teams until I blocked the Ave. A cookie. So I must decide, should I allow them to snoop around on my computer and spy on me or say "HELL NO!" , block the cookie and not be allowed to effectively manage my teams?
    What about the millions of people out there who do not have SPY detecting software installed and don't have a clue what's going on? This company is proudly listed on Wall Street! Can you imagine what REALLY BAD people can do with the information they're STEALING?
    I just had to voice this somewhere. It might not be news to most of you guys but it's scary as hell to me. I just can't believe with this GREAT unifying tool, (the computer), we sit here playing at that there isn't a huge, LOAD, movement going on to lobby the Gov to outlaw this outrageous practice. If they can stop Spammers from calling my home, do you believe they can't outlaw people FORCING their way into my PERSONAL COMPUTERo_O
    MicG

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Last edited: Jun 5, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.