Browser in the Box

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DasFox, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

2. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

I still trust my tried and true method here, who knew what I've been doing for the past couple years is now marketable. :p

3. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Virtual machines are best utilized for testing purposes, rather than for securiing web-facing applications. The considerable resource overhead required to run a vm isn't worth the tradeoff to secure a browser. Since you use Linux why not just use Chrome with a basic Apparmor profile. In fact in reality you don't even need Apparmor to browse securely in a Linux environment.

4. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

Well yes, there are many uses for VMs. For me there is little to no resource loss on my end. I have the computing resources to load up the Linux VM as quickly as say a Firefox or Chrome instance on my host. Yes if my computer was older and only contained one hard drive I'd agree. However keeping adobe, java, and my browsing inside a completely isolated VM has worked well for me for a long time. ;)

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Yeah that was a good statement like 5-10 years ago, but honestly look at the specs on systems today...

Nope sorry a VM is fine for any desktop user, for anything they want in todays world, but yes I'll admit, if you're only using it for surfing it might be a bit extreme, but it's certainly going to be secure and using those snapshots if something gets messed up is a breeze to restore the system...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.