Browser Hijack Blaster?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Speedo123, May 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speedo123

Speedo123 Registered Member

I just installed BHB. Didn't find a "Help" option and have a few questions I hope someone can help with or direct me to the appropriate place to find answers:

1) Can the program be set to run on startup? (Is this a good idea if possible?)

2) When I go to start the program through the start/programs menu, it gives me two options - Browser Hijack Blaster & Browser Hijack Blaster(no splash), but no explanation as to the difference. What is the differenceo_O?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. MCT

MCT Registered Member

hey

i dont use those, but ..

if theirs no option 2 start the program on startup, u can just copy a shortcut of the program into the "Startup" folder ( Start > Programs > startup)

by splash and no splash, a splash screen is just a window that opens up b4 the actual program containing stuff like, version, author , program logo

again- i dont use this program, its just general info :)

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

4. Speedo123

Thanks for the replies. I switched over to SpywareGuard as suggested. Shortly after my initial post, BHB started telling me that something was changing my home page and asking me if I wanted BHB to change it back. When I said yes, it would come back with the same message and ask again. I had to say "no" to get out of the loop. This pretty much defeats one of its main purposes. Figured there was no sense trying to troubleshoot this as long there was another program that is supposed to be better!

One problem I am now having though is that not all of the graphics show in my emails. I'm getting a good number of those wonderful squares with a red "x" in them. I was able to check "properties" on one and see that it was a ".gif" file. The others didn't give "properties" as an option so I don't know what they are. How do I get "complete emails back?

Also, can someone recommend a good spam blocker? I tried Mailwasher, but it basically operates as a standalone program - not interlinked to Outlook Express. You have to turn off the auto mail check in OE and after MW does its thing, you then have to go back and manually check for mail in OE. Kind of doubles the process. (The blocker I used in eAnthology's suite was integrated with OE, but all of the spyware stoppers I've used said that eAnthology was guilty of doing spyware stuff itself, plus was adding advertizements, etc., so I scrapped it.) Now looking for a replacement.

Thanks for your help. :cool:

Last edited: May 30, 2004
  5. MCT

MCT Registered Member

hey,

this isnt security related, and should be asked else where, but ill try 2 answer this one for you :)

the red X , could be a couple things, theirs a bug in internet explorer that has 2 do with red x's being displayed instead of the pic. dunno whether u use something like IE 2 view mail on the web or not (example, hotmail)

also, on websites, sometimes getting an X can mean the picture isnt being found correctly, (which has nothing 2 do with u, its on there end)

also, a firewall could stop it from loading properly..

hope that clarifies that some..

as for this one..
    their are MANY freeware programs that integrate into OE, try going to Softpedia
    hope this helps :D

6. Speedo123

Thanks for the input MCT. Sorry if the question about the "squares" is in the wrong location. I posted it here because it didn't happen very often before I added SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster, so thought that the problem is probably related (but you know how assumptions can be!). [The previous occurences of the squares showing up is probably where the pics weren't "being found correctly" as you mention.]

I'm using Internet Express and Outlook Express if that's of any help in figuring what's going on. I'll try temporarily turning off my firewall and see if the pics come back in the received emails where they're not now showing up. Maybe the combination of the firewall and the Spyware pregrams is the problem.

I'll try Softpedia as you suggest for a Spam blocker.

Thanks much!

Last edited: May 30, 2004
  7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

8. Speedo123

Snowbound:

Thanks for the site. Some real interesting stuff there! The info about the squares might have answered my question. It's possible that the emails they were in were classified as spam and therefore the graphic attachment sites are being blocked, hence the "X Boxes." As I stopped using Mailwasher and don't yet have another spamblocker installed, I can't check to see if it happens with "spam classified' mail. (That's one of the reasons for me changing from MW, seemed to make double work.)

Anyway, I don't seem to be getting the boxes now....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.