broken adaware :(

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by iceni60, Jul 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hello,my adaware broke when i checked for update.kerio asked if aaw. could use internet,i clicked yes,then remembered id configured aaw.to use internet through proxo..i pressed configure on adaware,then clicked through proxy settings.but the update had already started,and the update is now stuck at 5%.when i reloaded aaw. it said i had a corrupted ref. file.i uninstalled aaw. then tried to find any bits lefted behind to delete,but when i reinstalled i still had the corrupt file.
    can you help me get aaw. working again?
    and can you recommend something like total uninstall? thank you.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Since you are using XP, did you try system restore?

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks ronjor,and sorry for being so dim.i did think about system restore,but i was thinking about restoring back to when i first installed aaw. ive put my dunce hat on.thank you ronjor

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

As far as Total Uninstall, I've never used that program. To me, it is just as easy to set a restore point before I install any new software in case I have problems.

System restore has worked for me so far.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just did the SR and the first one didn't work,the second one worked for aaw but i got an error,which i didnt look at closely because there were too many other changes as well,ive put it back to where i started.with aaw uninstalled.do you know how to totally uninstall aww?i know i should probably go to their forum but i dont know it too well,and i like Wilders.i hope thats ok :)

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Can you remove Ad Aware in the safe mode? Safe mode

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

adaware is uninstalled,it just seems that the ref. file has been left behind,so when i reinstall i still have the corupted ref. file.pop up.ive deleted the lavasoft files in program files,deleted a few with jv16.looked in appdata,and done a search for adaware;lavasoft but the ref.file or what ever is bringing up the corrupt ref. is still there after reinstalling.do you mean reinstall,then uninstall in safe mode?ill do a search for reference file.thanks

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You could try turning off system restore and see if that file goes away.

Turn off sys restore and restart. See if you can find that file then. Turn sys restore on after you are through looking and make a restore point.

Something seems to have a lock on that file.

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i did as you said,turned off system restore.then i booted to safe mode,install adaware.when i then loaded adaware up it worked.i rebooted and then checked for update,there was no corrupt file,but the completed update was for 20.4.04 thats not right is it?

Attached Files:

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I have 7-1-2004 for the update. You might try their forums. The answer is probably there.

I looked on their forum.

You can use Webupdate to install the new reference
    file, or download it manually from:
    http://updates.ls-servers.com/reflist.zip

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

ok thanks for your time and help ronjor,i'll wait abit just to see if anyone knows why my update is april's,then ill go to their forum.thanks.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2004
  12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just tried the update again and it stuck at 5% for about 10-15 secs then it worked.i now have ref.-file 01.07.2004.thanks ronjor

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

That's great news iceni60! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.