bringing down the internet

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by bigc73542, Oct 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

http://www.msnbc.com/news/985295.asp
    Bringing down the Internet
    Posted by Mirko Zorz
    Monday, 27 October 2003, 8:41 AM CET

Interesting scenerio in this story. It is to long to post so I will just put the link for anyone that wants to read it.

:)surf safe :)

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yup, I have always felt that if the terrorists really wanted to bring the U.S. to it's knees they should be attacking our computers and not our buildings. But their desire to kill innocence is so strong, they will probably continue to try 911 tactics. (Anyway, let's hope they fail on all accounts).

Acadia

3. bigc73542

I know that unfortunatually we are stuck with terrorist :doubt: but i sure wish they would all fall in a hole somewhere :D

4. JayK

JayK Poster

LOL, what a dumb idea, bombing computers? What's the fun in that? No internet? how in the heck are terrorists going to communicate then?

5. FukenFooser 007.5

FukenFooser 007.5 Registered Member

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thats really great, now we are telling them how on the E news!

IT was bad enough that "Holly#$$%&" makes shows about how to do it, now even the "tech news" is typing it out there for them to read and say,"Hey thats a good idea" !!!!!!!!!

Yes, that was a very good bit of news, ( to anybody not being a little bit tech ), but that kind of knowage is better left to the people who do know the risk's and can are the kind that, do the right or proper thing even when they know that no body is watching.

Sorry about that. Just had to let my $.02 out.

I hate the very thought of it and am still embaressed by "9-11".

And yes I am PROUD to be an AMERICAN, but being from the lesser populated area, feel that the majority of us, (world population) are not getting raised right and/or are not being, "Good boys and girls regardless of our mother's best efforts".
    BUT, I am very glad to have found this forum and the very helpful security people that help out the new ones or the un-informed ones. People like you here @ "WILDERS" let me remember that I'm not the only one that:
    "My mother raised a good boy regardless of my best efforts"!
    So Sorry again but I seem to have gotten my emotions up when thinking about 9-11 and all the shows that showed "them" how to do it and the very open weak spots. (And anybody watch that flight training program intro,I am remembering it so say something like, "remember not to hit any buildings, wouldn't that be fun?") right at the end. In issues before 9-11. Heard they made it so you can't hit any now.
    Sorry about typing the $1.00 worth but I didn't start it.
    :oops:

6. bigc73542

Sometimes you just have to let it go. You are more than welcome to give your$0.02 worth anytime on one of my post's. I am proud of my country also. Not every little thing the government does, but it is my country. You can tell by the flag I fly. I almost lost my worthless hide in defense of this chunk of land. to old to change now ;)

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

There is NOTHING that we can tell the terrorists that they don't already know. Let's just hope that they never have the coordination to implement it because they already have the money and the people.

Acadia

8. bigc73542

That is really scarry to know that :doubt:

9. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Gents,

There's nothing wrong at all in being proud of the country you live in (regardless which one, for that matter), and indeed 9-11 was horrible beyond words.

That said, please don't turn this thread into a political one - see the sticky post in this forum.

No offense, just posting this as a precaution ;)

thanks in advance,

regards.

paul

10. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Just a thought. If a cyberterror strike does come, then I would think that (seeing as what Wilders is all about, then) the members here would be among the safest on the net. :D
    What Me Worry? :D

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Don't worry, Beetle. Should you fall, I'll catch you.

:rolleyes:

hehe

12. beetlejuice

Thanks Detox! :D :D

13. JayK

JayK Poster

Leaving aside the fact that I don't think members here have that much better security (use of security app not withstanding), it's kind of pointless to have a secure computer if the internet and other required services are down yes?

If the terrorists do strike, i doubt if they care your own personal secerts are secure. Let's face it, civilisation won't end if your secert love letters was broadcast to the net at wide :)

14. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well, to be honest... I cannot se the use of security applications to be "notwithstanding" as they are, im my opinion, rather important!

I will have to consider the average member at this site to be more secure overall than the average non-member!

I will not say that Wilder's members become somehow immune to the nasties which may threaten them, but certainly as a whole and on average they are more informed and ready to combat such nasties than the general public!

Personal information may certainly be moot, but control over your personal computer is far from moot!

Anyway it doesn't matter to me since all my love letters are directed 50% to Blaze and 50% to Uguel... two very secure minions of mine... muah-hahahaha!

15. beetlejuice

That's a scary thought! :eek: and I thought Halloween was over? o_O Silly me! :rolleyes:

16. JayK

JayK Poster

1. Understanding of the issues are more important then the blind use of applications. Understanding what they can protect and what cannot do for example is something I (even with my rather merger knowledge) see many members of this forum don't have.

2. I didn't say they weren't more secure, I said they weren't <b>much</b> more .

But as I said, even that degree of security is probably enough, against most threats. Cyberterrorists are likely to go for bigger targets anyway unless you are unlucky.

The typical members of wilders, will dutifully patch their systems, update their antiviruses, run firewalls and other fancy stuff yes. But can they really stand up to a real attack, when a real hacker has you in his sights? Let's just say I have my doubts.

What I detest is seeing this self congradulatory attitude among members (not necessarily in this thread) who are overly confident in their security such that they actually welcome efforts by hackers to try to hack them or "test their shields" as one members puts it.

This is just asking for trouble. The real hackers probably won't find it that much harder really to crack most of our systems .

You are safe from scriptkiddies though. Probably.

It is moot, if we are talking about the aims of terrorists (and we are in this thread) Attacking critical computerised services is more important than any one single personal computer.

17. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I agree with you, JayK; indeed I do.

However; I will agrue that the security against "script kiddies", etc is the most important security there is. The fact is, you cannot secure yourself against "the best" in the same way that any countrie's military cannot become immune to the "best" amongst their enemy forces. Hoever, the fact remains that attacks from the "best" are the rarest attacks there are. Surely, most attacks will come from less than the "elite." In this case, however slight the improvement in security enjoyed by the average Wilders member may be, it's importance cannot be overstated.

All the same; I certainly agree with your opinion about the vunerability to any/all internet users against a "real hacker" as you put it. However, the only way to be 100% safe is to not be online; and this is not an option to most Wilders members. As such, we will take whatever precautions are available to further secure ourselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.