BrightCloud extensions for Firefox and Chrome

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by m00nbl00d, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

This service came to my knowledge moments ago while reading Prevx 4.0 beta release date thread.

I scanned 46 malicious URLs with it, and it flagged them all either with Suspicious, Moderate Risk and High Risk and never once it gave them a green rating.

Here -http://brightcloud.com/solutions/allapps.php you'll find extensions for Firefox and Chrome.

Some of you may find this useful. In the short test I performed was accurate.

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Thanks m00nbl00d :) I am testing Chrome BCExplorer BETA now...

3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Installed in Chrome...:) looks good... Is it reputation based like WOT?

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

BrightCloud reputation score is almost similar to WOT for many sites. Check yourself and report your findings here.

5. m00nbl00d

Their website mentions this -http://brightcloud.com/toc/webreputation.php

I'm not a follower of WOT, but I do know they get results from Malware Domain List, for example, which is a very reliable source.

6. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks for replying guys...:)

7. carat

carat Guest

No search result ratings? :doubt:

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

This is a little more advanced as it involves modifying the page itself, it's understandable not to have it straight away. You may see it in future.

9. m00nbl00d

Yes, indeed, they should redesign how the extension works. I dislike the way it appears when verifying the URL/domain. It could just sit there with the icon, and verify the domain and if malicious prevent the user from accessing it, giving an option to still go, but alerting that it would be dangerous to do it so.

I mean, it communicates to the user that xyz domain is bad, but allows communication? I don't see much sense in this. I didn't enter any malicious URLs, but according to the extension description, it will simply provide a score and nothing more.

10. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

This looks awesome. How would it work if you use WOT and a DNS service though?

11. m00nbl00d

I guess it would be one more addition to spot phishing/fraudulent websites. Not 100% perfect, like every other tool. So, in conjunction with the web browser anti-phishing protection and WOT, it would be a nice addition. If you add a DNS service, whose main task would be to protect against malicious domains (as in spreading malware), it would make a nice combination.

The only negative side of the extension is that it won't prevent access to malicious domains. It will only provide a reputation score. I do like the fact you can send a request to BrightCloud to change the reputation score of a domain, and choose which category it fits better. Obviously, they won't blindly change its category.

12. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I like the fact that they are very responsive to the rating change request made by an user...:)

13. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Well this is weird I just checking into my blogs reputation and it says my blog has had an infection in the last 12 months, which is not true. Other then that I have been using this service and its been very accurate so far.

14. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Now I want to give credit to Webroot for very fast support, I sent the Brightcloud team a message asking why and I got a response and everything has been taken care of (and no my site did not have malware)

Brightcloud seems to be growing quickly.

15. m00nbl00d

It's still very much in beta, and if my memory isn't failing me, I don't think it has been updated?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/imhcbdomggfmhmaeicplciogjbfamkep

Updated: Thursday, June 17, 2010

Did they give up on it? If nothing else, just bring it out of beta status. :doubt:

Firefox version last update was on March 30, 2011

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firefox-bcexplorer/

I'd still like for it to provide ratings in search engines as well, and not only when we're already on the URL. It should also block access to suspicious and malicious URLs. With the option to proceed, though.

It's a good service, and it would be great to see the extensions evolve.

16. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

I thought they were developing this for future webroot productso_O I am not sure though:doubt:

17. m00nbl00d

18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

There appears to be two versions for Firefox: BCExplorer & WRExplorer., the latter being Webroot based.

19. m00nbl00d

Where have you seen WRExplorer? I can't find it.

Thanks

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

21. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

The link to that is here. Actually, you can find it at the bottom of BCExplorer's page. Each has the same version number. Mike Mitchell is responsible for both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.