Boy! Did I do something wrong.

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by russell55, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russell55

russell55 Registered Member

Hi,Tried to write this two hours ago but my 'puter crashed TWICE when I tried to use gmer to post its findings here. This is concerning me somewhat.
    Did scans since with Ad-Aware and Spyware Detector who found and cleaned 11 files. AVG Spyware found nothing else and tried Spybot but couldn't download updates. Kept getting "checksum error". UIS and DL Spybot again, update and scan again, nothing. Tried to uninstall gmer but unable to. Too scared to try again. The crash left a screen up and I had to switch it off at the wall!! Trend Micro told me it had reverted to a former config as something had occurred. This is starting to annoy me. DL Comodo FW that said I had two systems running on ports 137 & 138!! Ports scan says 1029 is open. Could some one please explain how I can close these ports. I have the feeling(only) there is some gimcrack inside this machine that stops me from being secure. Trend Micro says I am missing MS06-076(I think) but WUD says I have everything. DL KB/Q?894193 but am unsure how to install it. Something about putting it in System Management files. I could do with a little help here please.

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

About Spybot's update: choose another server, the default source doesn't work for me most of the times.
    Also, did you choose anything in Gmer's settings? Have everything unchecked, to be sure. Gmer, if you have the latest (1.0.12), has an uninstaller in c:\windows , called gmer_uninstall.cmd .
    To close ports with Comodo just click close. As for permanent, it depends on what the port is being used for. System on those ports is normal i think. Port 1029 is used by browsers, again i think.

Anyone care to confirm?

What security apps are you running? They could cause conflict. Anyway, try A-squared and SuperAntispyware if you want (free on-demand versions).
    And if the windows service says your up to date, i think you're up to date;) .

3. russell55

russell55 Registered Member

It's good to know someone cares. Thanks for your advice. I'll try the software.:thumb:

4. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

hi, i found with the trendmicro vulnerability check, quite often i have to search the ms site using the bulletin no. (ie ms07-XXX) to find what you're actually looking for...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.