Bought anything from Amazon.com ever?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

If you have ever bought anything from Amazon.com, then try this little experiment to find out if your name can be shared presumably without violating your privacy with another website by greeting you by name!

Visit here, i.e. InformationClearingHouse.info. Scroll down to the bottom of the webpage and look for the greeting box in the lower right-hand-corner.

If you were greeted by name, you were probably as surprised as I was. Just click on the link below to find out how they got your name and what to do about it by opting out with a visit to your Amazon.com account and reset your communication preferences.

All in all, the explanation provided on informationclearinghouse.info satisfied me that my privacy was still intact - still, maybe I'd better go back to the Amazon Privacy Policy and check to see if they tell users about this and how to opt out.

Cheers,

-- Tom

P.S. This is a somewhat relatively minor issue and will not in any way shape or form prevent me from buying items at Amazon.com. I will, however, probably reset my communication preferences there.

P.P.S. This is more of an anonymous issue I suppose. What are your thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I purchase regularly from Amazon.com and didn't find a greeting box with my name on the site you linked.

(you need to fix the link)

I went to my account/communication preferences and didn't see anything that referred to what you are talking about.

Can you explain what preferences you are referring to?

----
    rich

3. lotuseclat79

Hi Rmus,

Thanks for the heads up - a small typo - link is now fixed. Try it again.

-- Tom

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I didn't see a greeting box??

Attached Files:

5. firefox2008

firefox2008 Registered Member

Well, holy ****!!! There was my name in that little box. I will clear my cookies and see if that helps.

I cleared my cookies and that helped. It makes me wonder how many sites share cookies like this.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Got the same image like big...
    Mrk

7. lotuseclat79

Getting the same image as Big may mean you both opted out at Amazon - OTOH, it may mean that you have some sharing mechanism blocked to disallow it, or you just do not have the Amazon cookies on your system I would guess.

-- Tom

8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I guess thats why I dont see my name or greeting box. Probably opted out (I always do that whenever I get the chance and I only use session cookies that are erased when I close the browser) I have lost the count of the books, music cd´s or DVD´s I have bought from Amazon.com through the years.

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I've purchased several times from Amazon. In fact, I bought a blood pressure monitor and door lock set over the past few months from them. I don't see my name in the box in the lower right hand corner (Amazon honor system).

10. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Last thing I bought from Amazon.com was a TV, I didn't see my name in the box in the lower right hand corner (Amazon honor system). I hate Amazon.com sends you all their news letters even though you tell them not to.

11. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

No Name in box either.

12. Empath

Empath Registered Member

The cookie isn't being shared. The image is from amazon.com. While at the ICH, right click the image and check the properties. Amazon.com can read your cookies, but Information Clearing House can't.

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have bought from Amazon but not in maybe four years? I rarely buy anything on the internet. I prefer real stores in my home town. Anyhow, I would never keep any cookies I was forced to allow if I bought something so, of course, I didn't see my name there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.