Bot Revolt. Is It A Firewall...??

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ginzon, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ginzon

ginzon Registered Member

Hi,

I read about Bot Revolt and I am confused it is a firewall..?? What is it exactly?
    Thank You.
    I use Comodo IS and am planning to switch from the same, so looking for alternatives....
    Thank You.

Regards.

2. Disney

Disney Registered Member

Bot revolt is a joke

I have been running Bot revolt . It blocks too many legitimate pages. I had high for this . Not ready for prime time . not sure it will ever be ready:thumbd:

3. Disney

Disney Registered Member

It is a firewall. Can be used alongside Comodo as fat as I know .

4. ginzon

ginzon Registered Member

OK seems it ain't good at its stuff... Lets skip.. may be...

5. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

its just a very slightly upgraded PeerBlock (which you can get for free). I paid the $10 for the discounted subscription via the Gizmo's deal and so far i'm not too impressed with the way they run things, their forum etc. They seem to be more into selling than actually improving the product and there are several minor fixes that could be done but so far they haven't bothered. Even though i have their 1-yr subscription i just use PeerBlock Portable instead.

you have to pay close attention to what block lists you're using because the program was originally designed to protect the P2P downloaders - several of those lists are too restrictive for just web browsing.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It can be considered a blacklisting firewall separate from your usual whitelisting one. Basically filters IP addresses that get past your normal firewall.

I prefer PeerBlock, because the free version of Bot Revolt is a joke that can't even update itself or the blacklists without re-installation.

7. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Re: Bot revolt is a joke

I have a paid subscription. Same as, and a little more stable then PeerBlock.

New version is out 1.4.3.

What's new in version 1.4.3:
    - Crash Agent: Bot Revolt will automatically restart in case it crashes. It also gives you information about how long Bot Revolt has been monitoring your connections.
    - Bugs & Fixes
    - Stability Improvements

"Gives you information about how long Bot Revolt has been monitoring your connections" Totally useless for me. I hope this is not spyware!

If they really want attention they should post @ Wilders, not Facebook!

But I like it for now until PeerBlock gets it's act together. I hear a little rustling over @ the PB site.

8. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

didn't you get one of those free licenses?

9. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

I'm thinking the only thing holding up further development at Peer Block is finances. I've emailed the developer a few times trying to give him encouragement and told him that the folks at Wilders were waiting patiently for a continuation. If it was one of us with that kind of technology I'm sure we'd very much appreciate a little support..

Just a thought.. ;)

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

No, wasn't interested in waking up early just to temporarily replace what works. :p

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  11. ginzon

ginzon Registered Member

Ok seems can try it out.. NOthing harm trying...!!

12. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

The days of freebies are over. :'(
    Get what you pay for is true.

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Yet another generalization based on one example, plus a cliché saying that's not necessarily true.

@ginzon: Not always, unless bugs don't exist in software and operating systems.

14. ginzon

ginzon Registered Member

Yes thats very true...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.