Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, it IS pretty darn bad for 7 users, that's for sure...

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Yes, but unfortunately I think they're entitled to that. The way I see it, it's the perfect time for a Revolución on the Desktop market. However, given the recent relationship of people with technology, I think people will not stand up and face Microsoft.

Personally I'm only using Windows because I'm having a 20's-life-crysis, and because it's working quite well. I don't think Windows is the only option - and if it is for some people (e.g. because of a program that only works on Windows), they can use this to their advantage in court. But seeing how people are less and less caring about freedom and privacy, I won't be surprised when Microsoft takes dangerous roads like forcing Microphone activation all the time or being able to have a permanent copy of all your files (probably with the excuse of "National Security" or "to fight terrorists).

And when that time comes, I'll be long gone back to Linux. That is, if it's not tainted with the same problems as Windows. I'm actually afraid of how powerful systemd is becoming.

So right now I don't bother with these things. Then later I'll go back to Linux. If that's not an option, to OpenBSD. If that's not an option, I'll seriously stop using computers... or invent a new OS. But then, all the hardware could be compromised. Or worse, laws could be passed allowing companies to setup cameras and microphones in our homes.... then I'll live in the woods! But then, microchips could have already been mandatory! :eek: See, it's the life crysis all over again :confused: hehehehe

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Right now I am back on Win 7 and so far so good, but... I do have a half dozen linux images here as well as a Win 10 image or two, and a few 7 images. I tend to get bored and shuffle thru them depending on my mood. I am shying away from 10 because I think there is just too much going on there, and it doesn't have much of anything I need at all. The forced updates doesn't really bother me if I accept 10 for what it is, but that's kinda hard to do, lol...

Linux is great for me, it has all I need, but I do have a preference for Win 7, having installed it the 1st day it was released, and having loved it ever since then. So I'm hoping I can just stick with 7 for now and all goes well. If not, then I always have Linux as a backup. ;)

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've solved that problem. I have two computers (laptop & desktop) that are Ubuntu & Win 7 respectively. I also have an Android tablet, I suppose that is basically Linux.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, that does solve it. I might even consider doing that myself. I'm wondering if I might eventually just end up using a tablet and forgetting the pc altogether. Probably not though, since I've been raised on pc's and used 'em all my life. But multiple machines is a nice idea.....

6. Daveski17

I think my Nexus 7 is one of the most useful gadgets I've ever owned, but it wouldn't replace a laptop/desktop computer.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, that's kinda how I'm looking at it too. Might be great to have both....

8. Daveski17

That's what I've been telling you lol.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Haha... Yeah, I know. Slow learner.... Plus if there's 2 ways to do something, I'm sure to pick the most difficult way most of the time... :)

10. Daveski17

I wouldn't recommend a Win 10 tablet though lol.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Win 10 is actually fairly decent, but one has to accept all that goes with it, and even some that doesn't. :)

12. Daveski17

That's the problem. I'm sure Win 8 wasn't that bad either. I looked at 8 and then bought a laptop with Ubuntu installed instead. I was more familiar with Trusty than Win 8 admittedly. I just didn't want Win 8 and don't really want Win 10 at all. Win 7's got a few years in it yet. I'm quite happy with it. Apparently, Microsoft isn't though lol.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I thought they cleaned up Win 8.1 pretty good, and made it usable. I also like 10 too. But 10 is a lot different from 7, no doubt about it. From what I've seen recently, adoption of 10 is fairly steadily rising each month, although slowly, but 7 seems to be holding pretty steady. I don't think 7 is going away anytime soon, in fact, 7 is the new XP, right?

14. Daveski17

Yeah, lol, I'm guessing 7 is definitely the new XP. As people buy new computers they're going to buy 10 (if they buy Windows) so it's not surprising that adoption is slowly rising. I'm going to adopt an iMac for my next desktop. It won't be soon, but I doubt I will adopt or adapt to 10.

15. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

I know that recommended updates are displayed in italics.
    Recently, I was looking for Microsoft documentation that says so, but I wasn't able to find such Microsoft documentation (although I think I've seen it some time before).
    (Woody Leonhard didn't know of such Microsoft documentation either, according to his February 23rd article.)
    Could you tell where Microsoft documents that recommended updates are displayed in italics? Thanks very much!

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

17. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Good question - It was probably documented on the original Microsoft windows update web page way back (there were two of them at one time), but they have been replaced with a new one. On the new site there is no explanation of any of the categories.

I too remember seeing it at one time, but never kept a copy of it, so I called a friend whom I used to work with in tech support and he had the same understanding of the definition, but unfortunately kept no documentation. So nothing official that I can send you. If you find something, please post.

18. Stupendous Man

Thanks, emmjay.
    That seems to explain why I thought I had seen such documentation some time before, but am not able to find it anymore.
    Strange how Microsoft no longer seems to document the fact that recommended updates are displayed in italics.
    Oh, well, that's business as usual, I guess.

I will.

19. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Windows Updates: I got this sent to me today. I can not vouch for any of the statements as there are no sources sited for verification. Take it as an opinion piece. I expect others have heard this stuff before, but a lot of what MS used to do has been updated and may no longer be their policy. Here it is...

Microsoft seems to take a blanket approach when issuing Optional updates, meaning they basically send all of them to all users. Home through to Enterprise. This means that optional updates will often be completely irrelevant to most users. As an example, you may get an update for a feature that is only available to Enterprise users (especially with the intro of W10) and there is no way you can use it. I add that there is no such thing as Optional/recommended unless you have purchased an Ultimate license. If the manufacturer considers a driver or fix recommended, it will be offered by them on their website.

So you get patches in Optional, what should you do? Some fixes may not be required by everyone. Sometimes MS are unsure if the fix might cause problems so they roll them out slowly, collecting data and feedback as they go. It does not matter to MS if users do not want to be patch testers. MS does not have an insiders program for manufacturers so the user becomes the de facto tester.

Here is a very good overview of windows update. It was first created years ago and has recently been updated and worth taking a look at.

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/12/20/microsoft-windows-update-overview-all-you-need-to-know/

If you have an ultimate license: it is recommended that you do not hide any Optional updates found in the Ultimate Extras category. These updates, even though they are optional, tend to be ones that you want to install, as they are part of the reason you purchased Ultimate in the first place.

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    microsoft release 11 important update for windows 8.1 ,haven't checked for w7
    any news?

21. anon

anon Registered Member

22. Stupendous Man

Well here's something noteworthy:
    The security update for Internet Explorer KB3139929 information, says it includes nonsecurity-related KB3146449, which "update adds functionality to Internet Explorer 11 on some computers that lets users learn about Windows 10 or start an upgrade to Windows 10."

Microsoft does not explain what is meant with the phrase "adds functionality to Internet Explorer 11 on some computers that lets users learn about Windows 10 or start an upgrade to Windows 10."

KB3146449 is mentioned in responses to three articles at askwoody.com, but not yet in Woody Leonhard's articles. I guess we'll see that later today, or tomorrow.

23. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

13 updates for Win 7 64 bit including the above mentioned KB3139929.
    Someone (maybe jokingly) suggested a few weeks ago that MS could start bundling Win 10 upgrade stuff inside other updates and it looks like it has come to pass, maybe MS are following this thread. :D
    But I doubt if it worries Wilders users as most of us probably never use IE - me being one of them.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  24. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Difficult to ignore an IE cumulative security update. IE (as MS has designed their OS) is like the steering wheel on a car - you can't remove it and still expect to drive the car. It makes for the ideal Trojan horse. Once installed, check your group policy settings for any overrides, especially if you do not want W10 via WU.

25. Daveski17

Yes, truer words were never written. Personally, I am a tad dubious about being a volunteer Mickeysoft test pilot. This doesn't just apply to patches but sometimes to entire M$ operating systems (I'm talking about you Vista!). ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.