Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I went back to the previous version of Windows (1803) and started from scratch. I then had to disable my cardreaders to get rid of the 504 and 507 errors (the readers can always be re-enabled if necessary). Afterwards I followed your helpful instructions to get rid of the 1534 warnings. Everything's fine now but, of course, there will always be warnings and errors in event viewer. You get rid of one warning and soon get new ones with new Event IDs. Will there ever be a bug-free Windows? I don't think so. All you can do is to try to get rid of the most serious/annoying warnings and errors, but you will probably never see an empty event viewer.

2. guest

guest Guest

Some users are complaining the Windows 10 October 2018 update is deleting their files
    October 4, 2018
    https://mspoweruser.com/some-users-...-october-2018-update-is-deleting-their-files/
    Windows 10 October update problems: Wiped docs, plus Intel driver warning
    October 4, 2018
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/windo...roblems-wiped-docs-plus-intel-driver-warning/

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Just to finish what I started. Regarding the third issue I encountered with 1809, the DCOM 10016 System error, it had to do with Windows Secuirty Center service (wscsvc) starting with a delay while WscBrokerManager and WscCloudBackupProvider COM Apps (new features apparently) try to start very early in the boot process and because the wsc is not yet running, error with a 10016 Local Launch failure. Once the wsc starts (1-2 mins) the 2 COM Apps can interact with it and the error does not come up, so it's only on boot. Either way. What I did was set the wsc service to start without a delay, and the DCOM errors stopped.
    10016 DCOM errors are usually fixed by changing permissions for a given app that errors and I have seen them many times (due to MS messed up default COM permissions), but this is the first time I see them fixed like this.

4. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I remember seeing 10016 errors in event viewer in the past, but I haven't seen any of them recently. I will check my event viewer from time to time to find out what Windows has messed up this time. The Microsoft guys and gals keep us busy with their operating systems, don't they?

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Ah ok. So the 1534 error must be an artifact from the upgrade. I was worried that the registry references to a removed service somehow found its way to a fresh install, that would be a new one for MS and would imply 2 possible scenarios but let's not expand on that.
    Windows Event Viewer got a lot better over the years and the logs actually make sense now. It is possible to keep it all blue but that would of course depend on the time and the damn you give to it. As I have seen it many times recommended, an average user should not worry about most warnings/errors there, but for a security enthusiast, logs (not just the Event Viewer ones) have always been a great source of healthy challenge.
    I don't know if this is a rule of thumb, if not it should be - there will never be a bug free app (assuming reasonable level of complexity). The possiblity for errors in code is too high as it is written by bug-ridden creatures in a bug-ridden universe... Ok, back to earth.

6. itman

itman Registered Member

Two attempts to upgrade to 1809 failed, of course at the very end of the upgrade, with 0xC1900101. No suffix code; at least I can't find it anywhere. This error code is usually a bad driver. Does anyone know in which log is shows the driver it didn't like? Suspect it might be the Win 10 Realtek audio driver I forced on 1803 via Win Update Catalog download so that I could enable 1803 core integrity and still have sound.

Also does wushowhide work on 1803? Everytime it runs, it completes in secs. with it stating it found no problems? I thought it was supposed to connect to the Win Updates site at least?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Have you been through this?

8. itman

itman Registered Member

Yeah, but will go through it again.

This:
    Does lead me to believe its the Win 10 Realtek sound driver I forced installed. Even though a Win 10 driver exists, manual driver updating via device manager would never install it. Win 10 is without a doubt the biggest garbage Win ver. I have ever used.

9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Since you already suspect Realtek (but I'd double check it, there must be a second code somewhere, the one you gave is too generic) I'll just assume it's an onboard audio chip. I'd disable the thing in BIOS, then proceed with update. Once it's all over, I'd reenable the audio controller and go from there.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Intel Display Audio device drivers blocking Windows 10 Feature Update

11. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

One issue, besides the October upgrade taking seven hours (sarcasm), it isn't rendering secure logins properly. I wanted to tweak a telephone setting. My service provider requires a pin after the password and previously the pin would auto render and submit, however, now it isn't doing it. I haven't contacted them yet to reset a pin. I assume and hope it will work the same after that!

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Windows 10 update should be avoided until Microsoft delivers fixes

14. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

The rapid release cycle has zero benefits in the long run. It only introduces problems. Every project/tool that has adopted this fast agile whatever has suffered as a consequence of degraded stability/quality.
    Mrk

16. itman

itman Registered Member

I believe I know what is causing the driver failure although it might be now be academic since it appears Microsoft has pulled the upgrade for the time being. Great, since I cann't get wushowhide to work for the life of me.

I got "creative" after the 1803 upgrade and changed my BIOS Gigabtye SATA controller to AHCI mode. I have two DVD writers attached to that controller; one a newer NEC SATA drive and an older Pioneer IDE drive. I couldn't attach the Pioneer drive to an IDE controller since I only have one on the MB and the floppy drive was attached to that. Had no problems with the Gigabtyte SATA controller set to IDE mode except occasional hangs of the Pioneer drive at boot time. After setting the Gigabtye SATA controller to AHCI mode, never had a hang again.

Never thought any of this would matter since Win 10 always runs the DVD drives as SCSII using my ancient JMicron Raid driver. Well appears at Win 10 upgrade time it must check drive type to normal controller use and if they don't sync, you're "up the river without a Microsoft paddle."

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

One hopes that files are deleted AFTER update process. The Article does state:

18. Minimalist

Yes I surely hope that's the case. Also always run portable Recuva from USB stick or from different partition than deleted data was on.

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

And that's an excellent tip! :)

20. Minimalist

Thnx. Here is a link to site with portable download if anybody needs it: https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva/builds

EDIT: also, restore should be performed to different partition or disk than data was on.

21. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

For anyone that did not notice, the disk cleanup utility now has an option for the Downloads folder. It is not checked by default but if you are used to just opening it and checking all of the boxes you may get a surprise.

As for the deleted documents issue, I have updated 10 PCs so far and have not seen this issue on any of them.

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

You beat me to it! :D

23. Minimalist

Sorry. I'm sure, you'll beat me next time :)

24. itman

itman Registered Member

What Win 10 vers. are they? Bet they are Pro+ vers..

Lest anyone forgot, Microsoft aggressively pushes Win 10 upgrades on the Home vers.. Use them as "Guinee pigs" to work out all the upgrade snafu's.

25. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I just noticed the WD Security Centre tray icon isn't showing, at least since last restart.

Edit: It had become unchecked in Start-up Programs.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.