Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

wolfrun, you're welcome! Hoping all goes well. Take care.

3. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

But of course, I understand, and thank you for that.
    My comment on the mentioned Woody Leonhard paragraph was just to try to prevent anyone getting confused by that section.
    Usually, I highly appreciate Woody Leonhard's articles, but in that article, the mentioned section just seems wrong to me, or anyhow, like you, I don't know what Woody's point is.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

5. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

6. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

I also got an important update (Win 7 64-bit) for Intel HD Graphics 4600. It seemed to have been released yesterday.
    Not for the first time such an installation for my Intel HD Graphics 4600 failed!! I don't know why.
    Maybe it is related to the recent vulnerability as posted here, but for now that is just a wild guess.

7. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Today is the Day! The last day for Win 10 nagware updates for Win 7 & 8 users, or am I just wishing?

8. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I'm sure they will nag us in a completely new and innovative way.

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Jan, you're welcome! Take care.

FYI. I installed it; did not require a reboot. Windows Journal no longer appears in my system

10. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

And now the eventual regret of people that didn't bother getting the free upgrade.

11. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Update KB3161102 received and I also installed it.
    Celebration !! fireworks displays maybe in order?? Can now go into http://www.msn.com/en-ca?checklang=1 without that aggravating Win 10 popup showing.
    There will be no regrets here. Took the bold step to upgrade and my PC was screwed up for a month untill now finally, back in Win 7, it's running smooth again. No regrets here I assure you.

12. topo

topo Registered Member

win764bit i also installed kb3161102-no issues so far. has anyone installed kb3172605 (replaces kb316160:cool:? also today i got the intel graphics driver update-147.0 mb. any issues with the intel update? thanks for your help.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

14. topo

topo Registered Member

jr, thanks. just installed 2605 and rebooted.don't know your computer specs, but if it pertains, did you install the intel graphics driver? thanks

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

topo, you're welcome! No, because my Win7 64-bit PC uses AMD graphics, so that KB did not apply to me, thus I never got it. Take care.

16. ProTruckDriver

I don't think you'll find too many of them. :) Time will tell.

17. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

If you logged onto a Windows system since May 2015 you could not have missed it or it could not have missed you. ;)

18. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Just wishing. I refuse to believe M$ will stop pushing w10 for 'free'. Or maybe it'll be discounted to $1 for year 2. But it'll be something. M$ might even make W7 stop working in some ways.

19. Anonfame1

Anonfame1 Registered Member

So I upgraded to Windows 10 a few days ago. My plan was this: upgrade to 10, wait until the anniversary patch hits, make a full backup of 10 using window's backup tool, and revert to Windows 7 (because Im well in my 30 day window). Is there any issue with me restoring a Windows 10 backup 3 years from now when 7 reaches EOL? I hope Microsoft doesnt come up with any clever tricks to where I wont be able to use the backup at that point.

Im considering just leaving Windows 10 on the computer since I dont really use it anyways and I do at least gain bitlocker from that choice. With the talk of subscriptions (enterprise only atm), I could just see Microsoft changing the rules and suddenly making Windows 10 Pro subscription based as well. Any suggestions?

20. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

When you upgrade to Windows 10 your computer gets registered with Microsoft, which means that when you do a restore in the future, or even a clean install, your computer will be recognised and Windows will be automatically activated.

21. ProTruckDriver

That I wouldn't doubt. The way M$ handled this upgrade pushed me to buy a Mac. I'm wondering what's in store for all that upgraded to Win 10. You know darn well M$ is going to micromanage 10. We'll probably be seeing threads on Wilders about that soon, Win 10 users complaining and when they go back to Win 7 or 8, like you said they might make 7 & 8 stop working in some ways. What a mess!

22. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

M$ parting gift for W7 KB3172605 breaks Intel BT. ** very much M$.

23. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Good to see that the 'Get Windows 10' flag icon has gone now from the taskbar on Win 7, and that the amount of pending optional updates has gone down too.

24. login123

login123 Registered Member

They already have, sort of, by messing with win 7 updates. I just finished updating 3 computers, 2 on win 7 and 1 on win 8.
    They had not been started for years.
    The win 8 computer updated in about 6 hours, from start to installed, about 175 updates.
    The win 7 computers simply never did finish without some manual installs. Waited well over 24 hours in total over 5 or 6 days.

I worry that microsoft will tinker with the TPM, or lock the boot sector, or something else to make a win 10 upgrade permanent.

25. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

They would never do anything like that. Also, since the free upgrades have officially ended, Windows 7 and Windows 8.x users will no longer have to deal with the nagging and forced upgrades to Windows 10.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.