Bootwiz ?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by pvsurfer, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I have a Bootwiz.sys file as well as a Bootwiz folder containing about 6MB of files on my D-drive (both are Read-Only). Although I'm not certain that they were created by Acronis products, I suspect it because I first noticed them after installing True Image and Disk Director.

If someone would explain what Bootwiz is all about, I'd really appreciate it. :oops:

2. pvsurfer

Hmm, judging from the lack of response, I guess I was wrong about Bootwiz being part of an Acronis product... :eek:

3. Angela

Angela Registered Member

It is created by Acronis Disk Director & seems to hold copies of the system boot files pertinent to the operating system that uses each drive containing a bootwiz.
    I'm sure someone from Acronis can give more detail. It didn't seem to exist with OS Selector.

4. pvsurfer

Angela~ Thanks very much for the sanity-check... ;)

I do find it strange that Disk Director chose to install Bootwiz on my D-drive, but there may be good reason for that. o_O

Anyhow, it would be nice if someone from Acronis could explain its functionality, which is no where to be found in the help or Acronis online! :doubt:

5. Re: Bootwiz ? Last help when fallen into OS-loader-trap

This refers to the demo-Version only. But I guess that the real thing is also sporting that feature.

As already noticed, this stuff originates from the acronis Disc-Director Installation including the Bootmanager.

If you have the notorious "Starting OS-Loader"-loop problem, one of the brute-force methods is deleting the wiz sys-file and directory. Especially if you have only one of these new notebooks with no floppy-station and no original MS-Recovery-CD but a special one from your notebook manufacturer (example Acer Travelmate without the possibility to launch the recovery-console in command mode) all methods to get rid of that unwelcome feature as described in this forum (fixmbr(dangerous), recovery console (TRY THIS FIRST!)) will not work, you have not any chance to get into your system back again once the loader-trap has snapped. Removing the FDD and installing it as datafile in an other PC will enable you to shoot down the bootwiz file and diectory and you will have your computer back...maybe a short selfrepair of the system will start after the reboot as the instructions on the mbr find not anymore corresponding data on your disc. But it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.