boottime defrag do or not?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by lodore, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    i have always wondered if i should do a boottime defrag
    today i just got diskeeper 2007 pro and it only uses the dkservice and doesnt seem to have the other processes it used to have.
    has anyone used boottime defrag in diskeeper?
    or perfectdisk?
    and are you advised to backup your data first?
    whats the risk of doing such a defrag?
    i havent ever done one because i didnt know what the risks where
    so i thought i would ask if you notice any speed improvement after doing a boottime defrag and if its worth it or not.
    i also wonder if you have had any problems or heard any horror storys about boot time defrags
    lodore

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi, ofcourse - it allows the system files that are in use to be defragmented, files/folders which can't be defragmented when in Windows.

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Most certainly, I do an offline Defrag (Boottime) with Perfect Disk at least once a week, keeps everything running at peak performance :D

4. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

been running a preboot defrag w\ O&O at every boot for the last 4 or 5 years
    (has an option to press space to skip)
    only had one incident and that was very recently and my own stupidity in changing both of the dual pagefiles at the same time (its set to defrag em) and failed to turn it off for the reboot, it hung and wouldnt allow me to skip

fixed it from a parallel install

5. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

just did my weekly [when I remember] boot defrag with Diskeeper,
    everything running smoooooooth

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so no problems with boottime defrags at all cool.
    i guess you tick the run chkdisk box before the defrag option for safety?
    i wont do it untill ive got a successful image read my thread in the ATI forum for more infomation.
    lodore

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i dont usually run chkdsk beforehand, but u certainly can.

8. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi WS Fuser

I do believe CHKDSK & Boot defrag are quite different. And chkdsk does not do boot defrag.

Take Care Amigo
    Rico

9. WSFuser

yes i know. lodore was asking about running chkdsk before running a boot defrag.

10. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I did a CHKDSK /f before boot time defrag and my system died!

Will attempt recovery from external drive image when I here back from Paragon support.

DON'T DO CHKDSK /F ON C DRIVE WITH YOUR OS!

11. WSFuser

i just ran CHKDSK /F on my C: drive and its still working, so it might be something with your computer.

12. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Escalader,

Sorry to here your system died & need Paragon support help! It's a shame that backup/restore software seem to focus on backup & not so much restore. When the chips are down, that's when you need easy, smooth, & perfect restore!

Regarding,
    I strongly believe this did not crash your system. As I've done this too many times without problems. I would strongly suggest, that all users run:

chkdsk /f from windows 'Repair Console'. By booting from windows disk & choosing 'R' for repair, then run the command, this will avoid any & all roadblocks that may exsit on the users OS.

For more information on running 'chkdsk from the recovery console' see the link at: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=158699&highlight=chkdsk

Take Care & Good Luck
    Rico

13. Ice_Czar

there can be dangers when running a surface scan and automatic fix on a system partition, if it decides some critical system files are located on corrupted sectors.

and when doing data recovery its also not that great an idea to run CHKDSK /F first, the filesystem might repair itself, it might rewrite half the master file table and orphan the files

you dont absolutely need that fix switch (/F) either

Data Integrity and Recoverability with NTFS

An Explanation of CHKDSK and the New /C and /I Switches

Description of Enhanced Chkdsk, Autochk, and Chkntfs Tools in Windows 2000

Escalader its seems likely to me NTFS "fixed" itself, but broke the ability to boot to that volume as a consequence, you can employ the recovery console w\ your install CD to repair it
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
    you can also install the recovery console to the HDD
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

on a healthy drive CHKDSK /F is a maintenance tool to automatically fix minor errors, on a sick HDD its possible the cure is worse than the cause at least for either recovering the data or booting to the partition, if you suspect something run CHKDSK without any switches to see whats up

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  14. strangequark

depends what mood I'm in I guess, sometimes I run it first other times I don't, never run into a problem yet after doing it for several years.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what i normaly do is i im in the mood to rush it i just dont do it.
    and do it later when im not gonna rush it.
    lodore

16. Jokimoto

Jokimoto Registered Member

Regarding boot-time defrag it seems a no-brainer, can't have too much of a good thing, eh?
    Also, (ever so slightly off topic) DKService.exe <i>continually</i> tries to call home, or somewhere at any rate. It doesn't matter if you tell the app (on install) never to register, never to check for updates, etc. You can uncheck every option you can find but it will still make the attempt. I've even set a blanket "no-connection" rule via Sygate, which blocks it, but it's still listening.
    I can't think of a single reason a defragmenter would need to connect to the internet; not after I've specifically told it I don't want it to.
    Other than that, kicka** app.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

havent you read the manual for diskeeper?
    it says dkservice wont contact the internet and you can safely allow it if your firewall asks to allow it?
    and it is only used if you use it in a work environment to manage over a network.
    diskeeper 2007 blows all other defraggers out of the water.
    it defrags in realtime and never slows you down and never gets in your way ever because it only uses idle resourse. so all it does is keep your system running at peak speed all the time!
    i didnt belive it could never get in your way intil i tryed it myself.
    also i read the barry's rig review and he said he never has to turn it off during resourse heavy games becasue it never slows him down.

has anyone noticed that it uses alot less processes than diskeeper 10?
    they even gave me a discount coupon to give me the prices of the US at the uk store so i can use the uk support.
    great product great support.
    PS i dont work for diskeeper i am just another happy customer of Diskeeper.
    its a shame my sig is near the 300 charactor limit.
    i would like to put a link to diskeeper europe page but i dont know what to get rid of in my sig to put room.

lodore

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I just checked the Diskeeper Boot time defrag Overview, and it states that it is usually not necessary to run it repeatedly on a volume.

19. Ice_Czar

having used a great many defrag programs
    IMO none of them blow each other out of the water
    they simply have specific areas they are slightly better at
    features that one person finds useless and another finds invaluable

;)

20. strangequark

you seem to have the same type of moods as I do,

trouble is these days everything seems to be rushed, there just doesn't seem to be enough time to do stuff, it almost feels like there isn't the normal 26 hours in a day anymore ;)

21. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

this rush rush and then scr..... w it up is not new. ask your self where/who the rush pressure comes from. Usual those who don't know anything or do anything complex themselves. yet these are the very people we take orders from... sorry to rant...

why rush you only have to do it over again and that takes longer than it we took the time to do it right the first time!

22. strangequark

please rant away, I enjoy a good rant from time to time, and the older I get the more I enjoy it.

your right of coarse, everybody knows it only takes between 5 - 30 minutes to fix a broken computer ................................ everybody except the poor sap who's actually trying to fix it that is o_O

23. Ice_Czar

O I wish that was actually true :p
    Id say it greatly depends on how much tweaking youve done to it.
    Getting complex configs and or aps to play well together with several GUI tweaks thrown in for good measure (or repair said many headed hydra) can take just a little bit more time.

(Like for instance why exactly am I unable to install nView's dualview on this box Im typing from?)
    Ive done it a few dozen times before, but it wont "take" with this config (swapped out a vidcard)

24. strangequark

I think that's what I was saying, must be my weird australian sense of humour ....................... or humor for my american friends :D

25. Ice_Czar

irony is often lost in translation M8
    but these days I spend more days on servers down under than servers up top :-*
    (oz, nz, Kuala Lumpur) mark her down to emoticon obtuseness

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.