BOOTMGR MISSING

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by BlkPnthr, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Registered Member

I could really use some help. After an Adobe update, I get the subj: message. After following Win 7 recovery procedures (Win7 RE) Startup Recovery (from DVD), It found BOOTMGR MISSING. Once replaced and restarted, I get the following message: Error 0xc000000f NLS files missing or corrupt. Once I saw that error, decided to use ATIH 2011 to recover my C-drive/Recovery Partition and MBR (I am on a Dell Studio XPS system running Win 7 Ultimate x64). Using the ATIH 2011 Full software recovery CD I was able to "successfully" recover both partitions (Main + Recovery) and MBR however, still get same error message. I feel I've exhausted all avenue's of the internet trying to find a fix for this. Win 7 RE has done nothing for me, I've copied and pasted successfully all *.NLS files from USB drive to C:\Windows\System32 however, continue to get error message.

I've tried many options (ie. /fixboot / /fixmbr / rebuildbcd, setting Partition 1 as Pri/Active, setting Partition 2 as Pri./Active). Seems no matter what I do, Win7 does not want to boot. After doing bcdedit.exe, it pulled up the info from system and it all appears to be correct however, the Identifier says {default}. I think there should be a string of characters...no?!

I am at a loss as I am now going on day 5 without a system and feel I've read any and all forums to correct this. Acronis....please help!!

2. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Did you try the free Paragon Rescue Kit V10, it may solve (or not) your issue. Seems definitely done for this kind of boot issue.

3. BlkPnthr

I have not tried that (yet). Will give it a shot. Will post results. Just really wish I knew why the BCD shows the correct info yet the BIOS/winload.exe can't see it..or that all the Language files (NLS) are there yet, computer can't see it. What really has me thrown for a loop is ATIH 2011 and that for a complete system recovery, my system isn't up and running. I am thankful I did a full and complete backup of my HDD before this all happened. Otherwise I'd be dead in the water as, I've lost my Recovery partition (the one Dell built in). What a nightmare...all due to an update.

Will post results.

4. MerleOne

When dealing with manufacturer special partitions, I recommend performing a clone image with HDclone or equivalent, because partition oriented imaging software don't always recreate partitions exactly where they were initially, and that's all your PC needs not to work any longer. I got burned once with a Dell Laptop, I had a full image of the HDD by 2 different imaging software, but that didn't help and I was never able to recover the Dell MediaDirect feature. I finally gave up. If I had used HDClone, I am pretty sure I could have saved myself a lot of annoyings moments.

BTW, for Win7, you may have to restore maybe both the system and C partition (there are 2). The recovery one would not be useful, unless you decide to use it. Sorry I cannot help more, I have no Win7 system yet (stuck with XP).

5. BlkPnthr

I am sure there is just something in the boot file that needs to be tweaked. I only have 1 HDD hooked up...I can install Win 7 flawlessly however, recovering my old image has proven a challenge. Image has been validated numerous times and is fine. What bugs me is that it's telling me files are missing or corrupt when they are there and verified "Ok". I really hope I can fix this. I am beyond tech support for Acronis. Might have to pay-per-incident. After all, I did use their software that claims to be 100% Win 7-friendly. So far has proven to be a pain in the a$$.

6. MerleOne

I had a somewhat similar issue a while ago with W2K, where I kept restoring the system partition, to no avail. The trouble was that I had changed the numbering of partitions by removing an old linux parition. But the removed partition was #1, and it caused a global renumbering. Since system tried to boot from Partition 4, and #4 was no longer the system one, it failed. I just changed one byte in boot.ini, to specify the right partition, and issue was solved.

Here, Win7 boots differently from what I have read on it, but you may try to use BING from Terabyte Unlimited, if any software can make your system boot again, it's that one. It's rather technical but their support is great !

7. BlkPnthr

How did you edit the boot.ini file? Am using Paragon 10 ATM and feel confident is using it. Now I get BOOTMGR MISSING again...rather then 0xc000000f NLS files missing or corrupt.

8. MerleOne

I had prepared a BootIt NG (BING) bootable CD, booted on it, went into management mode or something like that, and used a special feature just made edit boot.ini.

Did you made any changes at partition level before having this issue ?

Other thing you may try is use a software like HDD Renerator (use the HDD Regen boot cd) and perform a surface scan, just to be sure it's no h/w problem.

9. BlkPnthr

Just checked and have no h/w issues. All is good. As stated, when Adobe updated software and I re-booted got subj: msg. I used Win7 RE CD/DVD and went to Command Prompt. Once there did: Bootrec.exe /FixBoot + /FixMbr (two (2) separate entries). When that failed, I re-booted w/Acronis Boot CD and selected entire back I had made (consisting of HDD#1 (presumed to be C:\) MBR and Recovery. When that didn't work, I used Killdisk 4.1 (CD-bootable) and wiped the entire HDD (6+ hrs = HDD is 1.5 TB). When that was complete, went back in to Acronis CD and tried to restore image again. If I could just get past the BOOTMGR MISSING and NLS files missing/corrupt I think I'd be set. Who knew an update would cause so much grief. I am dead-set against simply re-installing Win7 as, I find that the easy way out. There has to be a way to fix this. I had tried a re-install and system boots to OS just fine.....wish I had a screenshot/layout of what the boot.ini / BCD file should read like so I can compare it to the one I have.

10. BlkPnthr

I have Win 7 x86 running on my laptop. Using EasyBCD, this is what the BCD string looks like on the "inside":

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
    device partition=C:
    description Windows Boot Manager
    locale en-US
    inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
    default {5670ba9e-ce12-11dc-80c0-9d0a765cd01b}
    resumeobject {1fa527ef-9ebc-11dd-9a23-806e6f6e6963}
    displayorder {5670ba9e-ce12-11dc-80c0-9d0a765cd01b}
    toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
    timeout 4
    custom:45000001 1

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier {5670ba9e-ce12-11dc-80c0-9d0a765cd01b}
    device partition=C:
    path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    description Windows 7
    locale en-US
    inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
    recoverysequence {5670ba9f-ce12-11dc-80c0-9d0a765cd01b}
    recoveryenabled Yes
    osdevice partition=C:
    systemroot \Windows
    resumeobject {1fa527ef-9ebc-11dd-9a23-806e6f6e6963}
    nx OptIn

There is a lot of info contained within this that is NOT contained within the Win7 BCD I am trying to use for my desktop.

11. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Try the drive letter corrector in Paragon Rescue Kit.

12. BlkPnthr

I have - no joy. Going to start from scratch. Have deleted any and all paritions, wiped the drive clean - will use Acronis Ti 2011 to recover JUST the System Partition (not the MBR or Recovery partition that was also included in backup). Will have 2 HDD's hooked up as, I backed up to a sep. HDD and of course, it will have to be attached to have access to image. We'll see how it goes from there.

13. MerleOne

I think Win7 requires 2 partitions to boot : a small one named "System" and a big one named "OS" or something like that. If you restore just "OS", I guess it will not boot ! Acronis, like other imaging utilities, may have trouble restoring both partitions at the same exact location (bit to bit), in that case, the Win7 recovery CD might help, but like I said before, I don't have Win7 and cannot be sure ...

14. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

That´s right, Windows 7 Ultimate uses two partitions, the boot partition and the system partition. I think this is necessary for the BitLocker encryption feature. Both partitions must be restored for Windows 7 to boot, BOOTMGR should be in the boot partition.

In my case, I use Windows 7 Premium on a Dell desktop, there is only one “system” partition, BOOTMGR is in it.

15. MerleOne

On the Win7 Toshiba I saw, the boot partition was labelled "System" !

Anyway, I suppose you could try to restore the desired partitions and also install the demo version for BootItNG (it will require the creation of a new small active partition). It should be able to boot then your system. I hope you will eventually recover your system !

16. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Hi;

Just want to share this one. The same thing happened to me as CS3 updated. It was my first trial of Windows 7 in an 80gb hdd. I believe you will have to format again. Luckily for me when I tried Windows 7 I was also trying out Paragon Backup and Restore 10 freeware and I restored it from the backup I did which was without Adobe CS3 installed. I tried Paragon made a backup and then switched to with ATI Home 11 (which I was usng with XP). Made 2 image backups to compare ATI Home 11 and Paragon. When the darn problem hit me I used ATI but was not able to restore it properly. It would hang during boot or restart. Paragon restored it to it's original state.

I though I did something wrong at first but since you opened this up it is Adobe who is really the culprit. ATI support did nothing to help me.

I am now back with SP3 and will try out Windows 7 again once I have a new bigger hdd to use.

Hang in there bud.

17. BlkPnthr

Makes sense. I did a complete install and Win 7 runs fine. You are right, there are two (3) partitions on mine (Dell Laptop - Win 7 32-bit). 1) 102-MB OEM; 2) Recovery (Page File, Primary); 3) WIN_7 (System, Boot Page File, Active, Primary Partition). What I don't understand is, when I made a complete image of the HDD in it's entirety, why is it that when I go to restore it (in part or in it's entirety), I continue to get BOOTMGR MISSING. If I use the Win7 RE, It does one repair, a re-boot, a second repair re-boot and then the whole NLS FILES ARE MISSING/CORRUPT pops up. Even after following multiple threads to Bootrec.exe /FixBoot - /FixMbr - /ScanOs - /RebuildBcd, I can't get past that error message. With that being said, I only have the one HDD connected and my Drive is set for AHCI (other is RAID - not selected out of the box). Now that I have Win 7 successully installed (NOT RECOVERED), is there a way for me to keep the 103 MB OEM Parition that is obviously allowing my system to boot? I noticed using EasyBCD, that there is a tonne of info contained within the Boot Manager and Boot Loader that is NOT in the BCD when I restore the original image. How (when recovering) can I tell the PC to have the 103 MB at the start of the drive, Have "Recovery" set as Primary and assigned D:\ and System drive assigned C:\?? Is there a way?

18. BlkPnthr

I appreciate your comments. I am hanging in, just very disappointed. So far Acronis support has done nothing for me. Only the auto-email to let me know that they received it. With that being said, am getting really tired of being reidrected to link, forums, FAQ's, solutions which I have already tried many times over. I am not a computer programmer however, I do know my way around a PC and it's parts (moving or not). Just really ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ this has me (as well as others) stumped. You are right. If it wasn't for that damn Adobe update, I'd probably not even be here. I leave in 3 days for 2 months and aside from doing a complete rebuild (which I won't do), I am hoping there is a solution. I too have Paragon Pro 2010. Not many program boot into/from DOS. Wish there was a way to copy the 103 MB boot parition and all applicable info from a working copy of Win 7 / Boot Partition to another HDD and then copy it back using DOS, overwriting the default info...which obviously is not letting me boot. I am confident this will get solved. Just may take more time then I have. I am using TI 2011 w/Add-On Plus pack.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Don't give up on me and I won't give up on you..:)]

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2010
  19. BlkPnthr

With all said and done, I love Win 7. Not a fan of Vista, WinXP Pro had me sold....just my personal opinion.

20. BlkPnthr

21. BlkPnthr

To anyone that reads this, I found my problem. BOOTMGR missing was..well..because it was missing, the NLS error msg I got was in fact not because my Language files were missing but, my entire FONTS directory listed under the \Windows directory. I was able to use my laptop to check the image I had created and went into the Windows directory and found my error. Once I copied the entire Fonts directory from a Win7 x64 DVD (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/42776-extract-files-windows-7-installation-dvd.html) using a tutorial from a link I found, I burnt the info to a DVD and then using DOS, copied the fonts to the directory it needed to be in. Once I did that and rebooted, the computer started right up HOWEVER,...with that being said, the computer was unusable. No programs were listed and had tonnes of error codes. No doubt an issue with the restoring of the registry.

I have made Acronis quite aware of how upset, disappointed and frustrated I am with them as, their software let me down. Not only did it not copy my file, has pretty much rendered my system useless and now I need to rebuild my system from scratch...which in my opinion, COMPLETELY defeats the purpose of having purchased their software in the first place. Hopefully there Research and Development Team take a close look at this. I mean, HOW in the world could TIH be able to make a complete backup, validate it and be missing an entire folder....FROM THE WINDOWS DIRECTORY no less. Anyways. Hopefully this helps others out there. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.