BootitNG trial failure

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by aigle, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW, so far I see only two advantages of buying IFW/ IFD over BING.

1- With IFW u can take image while being in windows.
    2- U get Image for Linux free with it( don,t know how good it is).

also IFW(D) is a bit faster.

On the other hand BING has many other useful functions like partitioning etc. I personally think I should buy BING rather than IFW due to its multi-function nature.

2. furballi

furballi Registered Member

Faster as being able to navigate between screens? Per my previous post, your speed issue may be related to the optical or floppy drive on the PC. I have BING in a small 7MB FAT16 primary partition at the end of my HDD. Navigation is instantaneous (less than 1/4 sec) between all screens.

The speed of imaging between IFD and BING should be the same, if your PC is not the bottleneck. With my rig, it's around 1400MB/sec to image, and 1500MB/sec to restore.

There is no need to reboot with a boot disc in the floppy or ROM drive if you install BING in its own primary partition.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I mean the speed of imagind and restore. In my two laptops it is slightly( though noticeably) faster in case of IFW/ IFD.
    I can,t do it as I have RollbackRx.
    I want to ask,
    1- Did u ever use IFL( linux), how useful it is?
    2- Can u backup ur MBR( original or modified) via BING. If so how u can do it?
    Thanks.

4. furballi

See page 31 of the BING manual to backup the MBR/EMBR. Never mess around with IFL.

So you used BING and IFD to image and restore data to the same partitions on the same PC, and IFD was faster? Perhaps you should post this question with Terabyte. I see no performance change with my rig. What were the average processing speeds (BING + IFD)?

Personally, I would go with ONE imaging program that works best with your rig, and stick with it. KISS.

5. incursari

incursari Registered Member

Hello Furballi, like what Aigle said, he can't install Bing in the hard drive because he had Rollback installed. Unless he uses floppy drive to back it up.
    I already test it from BING bootable cd-rom, I can’t back up the mbr as I also don’t have floppy drive install in my computer.
    Nowadays not all computers come with floppy drive. If Terabyte give the options to back up the mbr with BING/IFW/IFD to another hard drive, this will be good addition for those who want to restore the partition image with the mbr in case of hard disk failure

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't understand. Furballi said you can install BING on a separate small partition.
    That small partition has nothing to do with RollbackRx.
    Just create two partitions :
    1. Large Partition [C:] for Windows + RollbackRx.
    2. Small Partition [D:] for BING

7. furballi

BING will also copy the MBR to the BING installation partition. Again, you're probably not going to be able to use ALL of BING's capabilities if you have another backup program that override the MBR.

I like to create a small 8MB FAT16 primary partition at the end of the HDD for the BING program and the backup MBR/EMBR.

In the event of a HDD failure, the best strategy is to partition the new HDD as required, then reset the MBR of that HDD to default state. Now restore individual partitions with BING, set the primary boot partition active (if necessary) and the PC should boot. You may need to use BING to non-destructively resize the partition after image restoration.

People place too much emphasis on the MBR. A "default" setting with the proper partitions in place should work 99% of the time.

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U mean installing BING will not mess with MBR?
    I did not try it as I was not sure.

10. ErikAlbert

I know the word "kiss", but don't see the connection with softwares.
    I don't kiss software, I don't even love software, I just like them.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If ur active partition is destroyed, u ned to make ur BING partition active to boot into its menu that ia not possible without BING CD or Floppy drive.
    If ur all HD is gone, sure ur BING partition also goes with it. U will again need BING CD or floppy. So I don,t see any adavantage of installing BING on HD.Pls correct me if I am wrong.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Infact it was a small difference. About 4.5 GB used space in C drive, restored in 6 min with BINg and in about 4.5 minutes with IFD( not remeber exactly now)- without image verification( that also was slightly faster with IFD).
    I don,t mind it as long as it works. I don,t think I will be restoring image too often, so this speed difference not a problem.

But terbyte sure should give an option to store MBR on a USB stick or drive. I know it is is not usually needed but I will just miss to use this function this function as laptops don,t have floppy drives.

13. ErikAlbert

If the BING partition is on the same physical harddisk as the system partition, you are right. I wouldn't do this either. In that case you better use a Recovery CD.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Currently I am relying on RollbackRx with no imaging( that is not my need ATM and also not a go for terbyte with RollbackRx).
    My next system with vista will be like urs-- FDISR plus BING.

15. incursari

Yes I know BING can be install in a small separate partition which I never did because I also trialing Rollback at that time.
    The question is does BING will retain Rollback Rx entry in mbr after installing it?
    If no, the only way to run BING is from cd-rom in order to retain Rollback entry in mbr. And mbr need to be backup in order to restore the image and Rollback Rx entry in mbr in case of hard disk failure.

16. furballi

If BING resides in a separate primary partition on the HDD, then you can use BING from that partition to create ANOTHER PRIMARY ACTIVE partition for the OS, and restore a good image file to that partition. You could also use the BING floppy/CD to do this. The image file(s) on the HDD should be okay if ONLY the primary active partition is damaged.

If the HDD is dead, then you will need to repartition a new HDD and restore a good image file from ANOTHER source.

Advantages of having BING in a separate primary partition:
    -Don't need boot disc to restore a primary active partition.
    -Backup the MBR to the BING partition.
    -Don't need boot disc to use BING's partitioning tool
    -Don't need boot disc to use BING's boot loader
    -Don't need boot disc to restore MBR/EMBR

17. incursari

Yes if only BING . What about users who also need a recovery program like FDISR and Rollback Rx for instant recovery?

18. furballi

I go with one imaging program that's 100% reliable for my rig. 40 seconds to completely restore my OS PARTITION is INSTANT enough for me. KISS.

19. incursari

I agree BING is a good imaging program with it simplicity and I like it too. But I like Rollback Rx too for my instant recovery which will recover my data a few minutes/hour ago in case my system crash.
    It may take you 40 seconds with BING, but it takes me 15 to 20 minutes for my data which is more that 6 GB.
    I can’t image my disk/partition every hour with BING. But I can configure Rollback Rx to trigger to take the snapshot by event/schedule/hourly which takes only 3 to 5 seconds each snapshot. If BING can backup the mbr to another hard drive it is a plus for me.

20. ErikAlbert

I have FDISR and ATI and I'm pretty sure that the combination "FDISR and BING" would work also.
    The bottom line is that there is no MBR-issue at all.

Each time I do a backup, I include the actual MBR and when I restore the MBR within the backup file is also restored.

I tried every combination :
    1. Restoring a backup file with FDISR over an existing system partition with FDISR
    2. Restoring a backup file without FDISR over an existing system partiton with FDISR
    3. Restoring a backup file with FDISR over an existing system partition without FDISR
    4. Restoring a backup file without FDISR over an existing system partition without FDISR
    5. Restoring a backup file with FDISR over an empty zeroed harddisk
    6. Restoring a backup file without FDISR over an empty zeroed harddisk.

Each time the restoration worked like I expected without any problems. No MBR-problems.
    Only for 5 and 6, I used the Acronis Rescue CD, because there is no other way.
    All the other restorations were done with ATI under Windows AND Acronis Rescue CD.

Believe me, if one of these restorations would have failed, I would have ditched ATI.

EDIT :
    I'm quite sure that BING/IFW/IFD would do exactly the same thing as ATI.
    I just didn't understand Terabyte very well and that's why I used ATI.
    And what works for FDISR, should work for RollbackRx also.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

22. ErikAlbert

If that is really true, I would try another immediate system recovery software AND/OR another image backup software.

23. Longboard

There is a bit of confusion here about BING installation; you must see the videos and read the manual. THIS WILL HELP MAKE THINGS CLEAR, particularly about where and how BING installs itself, why it may be useful to you, and why it may be better just to use from FD or CD.

Yes, but you have made your back-up image elsewhere and can recover from same with IFD/BING floppy or CD. BING is not primarily an imaging utility. It is for multiboot and partition management. That is the prime reason for installing. As an extra, you can then make back-ups of your complicated multiboot multi Win OS/multi linux OS system with over 200 partitions while in BING and export to external storage or bootable restore CD or DVD if you want. ;) Covers IFW and IFL. Can of course restore all with IFD from boot disc or with BING from boot disc.

AFAIK, IFD & IFW came after BING was developed.

##If your HD dies without an image you might be in the deep poo!

If you install BING, apart from anything else it will take control of the MBR and will conflict with other apps that require access to MBR eg FDISR and RollBack.

It appears that while Rollback itself is now more robust, there are issues with some imaging apps. The somewhat secretive "patented" file management system that is used by HDS is not easily coped with.

You could go back to the really long thread about Rollback, (that you posted to with lots of good info), to check with the issues surrounding imageing and the MBR and RB.

I believe you when you say RB is now very stable and it was always going to be a GREAT utility if/when it worked.

Bellgamin has posted to the terabyte news group about RB and compatability with their utilities.

For me there is better functionality and stability for restores with my options, particularly when I doubtless will manage to fry my HD and need to restore from external HD. :gack: I paid for Rollback and did not want to give it up, however,, Rollback, despite what it can do just became too difficult to use as primary salvage as it does not cover possible HD loss.

@Erik Albert
    That is true if BING is not installed and just used from fd or CD or DVD.
    Installing bing for primary function as above will probably interfere with FDISR preboot. There are as you note NO PROBLEMS with BING used as imager only or with IFD/IFW and FDISR. I have no experience with FDISR and multiboot system. If I was going to go for complex multiboot options then I suspect there may be issues with FDISR and installed BING.
    :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  24. ErikAlbert

Longboard,
    I installed ATI and FDISR on the same system partition [C:] and it WORKS
    - without having problems with ATI
    - without having problems with FDISR
    - without having problems with ATI & FDISR.
    - without having problems with MBR
    Simple and reliable and tested. Both softwares became routine for me.

While you guys are still testing, fixing problems, discussion about HDS, Terabyte and HDS & Terabyte. Telling eachother how to use it for this, but not for that. Where to install it : on separate partition, on system partition, on floppy or CD.
    Everybody is crazy about Terabyte, well it's true Terabyte makes you crazy, including me.
    Good luck with the combination HDS & Terabyte. :)

25. Longboard

@aigle

My bad :oops:
    I gave you some wrong info in an earlier post #19

From Furballi

For BING this is correct.
    To "copy/paste" with BING you need same size to restore to.
    My comments re IFW/IFD are correct
    Here:
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/cg...roup=public.apps.bootitng&related=16037&utag=
    This should make it clearer.

Sorry, sorry, sorry.
    Mea culpa, Mea culpa.
    Longboard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.