BootIt NG best practices

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Reve_Etrange, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reve_Etrange

Reve_Etrange Registered Member

Hello,

I've two questions:

1) how do you add a Linux (Ubuntu) entry in BING? Grub used to take care of that, but BING's now running the show.

2) what's the best organization for the backup images? A copy of C: on internal HD, and an image of all the partitions on an external HD? Do you use a scheduler? A script/batch?
    How to make the most of Terabyte's softs?

Thanks,

-RE

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

These may help:
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/category.php?id=20

For me: simple home user, trying not to strain brain too often o_O

I ahve internal 240g HD in 3 or 4 partitions.
    Have external 240g HD with USB>EIDE connector. That drive can be removed from external enclosure and could replace internal HD
    Also have portable 40g usb drive
    Have several USB sticks ``4g.

Storage is so cheap now. Heh, remember thinking that 500mb was HUGE!!

I USe bing from floppy as required if need to boot outside OS or re-arrange partitions. If in BING will often save image at that time.
    Currently have no need for multiboot options so have not installed BING
    Use BING to shrink partition for smaller image and restore back to smallest Partiton if needs be.

Keep IFW with Phylock as first option from Windows for imaging.

HAve had little use for IFD and IFL as yet.

Use FDISR on 'C' with 2 or 3 snapshots. Terabyte softs incorporate all FDISR snapshots with no probs so far. Have restored with no problem.

I keep 1 image semi up to date with IFW on primary HD.

Keep FDISR archive update daily on external USB (once created takes 2-3 minutes to update)

Keep semi-updated Terabyte image/s on external HD.
    Keep copy of photos, vids and "archived " work on external HD and on non active partitions on Primary HD (keeps Terabyte image size and FDISR snapshot size down)

Have one Fdisr snapshot I made with "virgin install" of XP with all my utilities but never used, occassionally update: not really sure why I have kept this; I made is as an exercise and just kept it, bit of a pain keeping it up to date.

Have work critical data incorporated in each image and separate USB stick.

I try and cover what issues I can see: software crash, fail of primary HD, need for reformat of HD and reinstall.

Unless both HD explode I am fairly safe.
    Probably slightly obsessive and a bit clumsy, it does take some time and effort. I am not really capable of "running batch files and not really happy about unattended imaging or restores. Do not keep box on all the time.

LOL, bet you're sorry you asked now.
    This is simple and reliable and covers my ass so far.

See here for some discussions:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=140271
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=133283

I really use the terabyte apps as recovery utilities,The full functionality of BING (multiboot, multiple OS, multi-partiton)is really not neccessary for me at the moment. Just happy to have it !!
    Regards.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

@Longboard:

LOL, dang, man. That sounds pretty good -- because it's about 98% identical to what I do !:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.