Booting from second drive:

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tronic592001, Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tronic592001

tronic592001 Registered Member

I got two drives installed one is a 160 gig SATA

other is a 40 gig ATA

Ive cloned the 160 SATA to the 40 gig ATA no problem but when i try and boot from the cloned 40 gig drive i get a error message system shuting down error.

Ive changed the 40 gig drive to cable select, and even master, then gone into bios to make it boot but it wont!!

My system is a compaq 1239uk and ive read that on this system some of the bios is kept on the hard drive, so would this stop me booting from the 40 gig ATA.

Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. Grouper
    Chipset : Intel i915G
    Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 2932 MHz
    Physical Memory : 512 MB (2 x 256 DDR-SDRAM PC3200 @ 200 MHz)
    Video Card : Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
    Hard Disk : ST340016A (40 GB) ATA
    Hard Disk : ST3160023AS (160 GB) SATA
    DVD-Rom Recorder : HL-DT-STDVDRRW GWA-4083B CDR, CDR-W, DVD-R (40x ) (40x )
    Monitor Type : IBM IBM E74 16 inchs
    Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I'm not surprised!! The drivers for the HD controller installed on your 40GB drive will be applicable to the SATA controller rather than the ATA. Guess you're going to have carry out a Windows "repair" reinstall. Check out this link (thanks jimmytop) to <instructions for a Repair Install>.

Regards

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tronic592001,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Please make sure you have prepared your system as descirbed at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#17

If the Repair installation doesn't help please send a description of your actions and tell when your computer reboots in the letter to support@acronis.com. We will certainly help you with the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. tronic592001

Menorcaman

Think your right, but my windows xp is preinstalled by compaq ..

:oops:

Acronis Support thanks again for reply, i cant download that valadating file yet got to disable activex, but can see what you mean about windows xp.

so there for the clones ive already made from drive to drive are no good??

5. Menorcaman

Correct. Without a Sysprep/Windows Repair Install, a cloned (or imaged) drive will only work correctly if:

(a) The drive interface is the same as the original source drive e.g. SATA to SATA or ATA to ATA.

AND

(b) The cloned/imaged drive is fitted to the original (or identical) hardware.

Regards

6. tronic592001

Menorcaman

So if i had a crash on my 160 gig sata c: drive i could reinstall windows with the rescue disk i made from compaq, just like it was when i took it out of the box.

then copy my cloned drive over to it!!! would this work or do i nee to by a second sata drive!!!
    :eek:

7. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, tronic592001

You can Clone [or Image] a SATA to PATA with no problem. [because the PATA does not need any special drivers or controller]

To Clone a PATA to SATA, the PATA must have the SATA drivers install to the OS before you make a Clone or Image.

To make the [P]ATA Boot, please check your BIOS and make sure it is set to boot from HDD0.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  8. tronic592001

TheQuest thanks for reply:

thanks ive cloned sata to pata, and by what you say its a safe clone to restore if i had a crash.

I cant get the pata to boot, tryed difrent configs like cable select master slave, but this is not a problem for me long as i now my clone is 100% restorable..

9. TheQuest

Hi, tronic592001

That 100% is only proved on a restore, I afraid.

Try disconnecting the SATA with the PATA set as Cable or Master.

I have done it many times but I have always been able to boot the PATA.

Are you getting any errors.

Take Care,

10. tronic592001

TheQuest thanks for reply;

Ile try disconecting the sata but long as ive got a clone ie ( dvd cd ) im ok

but after i clone the sata to the pata it tells me clone complete, maybe better to image sata to pata.

but not bothered about it booting as im useing the pata to store the clone on..

11. TheQuest

Hi, tronic592001

I not sure what you mean by that?

You can not have a clone HDD [copied [burned]] to a CD or DVD, only a Image can be burned to a CD or DVD.

Take Care,

12. tronic592001

TheQuest hi

yeap sorry thats what i ment.

:cool:

13. TheQuest

Hi, tronic592001

If it is an Image you have on the PATA? then that is the reason it will not Boot from it [the PATA], because an Image is not Bootable until it is restored to an HDD.

We are making sense of it now. :D

Take Care,

14. tronic592001

thanks thequest.

A Acronis Moderator also told me that ide need the sysprep tool so i can use the clone function.

other wise will not clone. im running windows xp.

Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. Grouper
    Chipset : Intel i915G
    Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 2932 MHz
    Physical Memory : 512 MB (2 x 256 DDR-SDRAM PC3200 @ 200 MHz)
    Video Card : Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
    Hard Disk : ST340016A (40 GB) PATA
    Hard Disk : ST3160023AS (160 GB) SATA
    DVD-Rom Recorder : HL-DT-STDVDRRW GWA-4083B CDR, CDR-W, DVD-R (40x ) (40x )
    Monitor Type : IBM IBM E74 16 inchs
    Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2

15. TheQuest

Hi, tronic592001

You use sysprep it you are cloning or using an Image of a HDD to another system [with a different Abstraction Layer which would result in a BSOD without it, or there is always a repair Install.

I have posted many times on the repair install the first time I was not sure of to what the person was wanting to do a, how legal it was in what he was doing, but I advised it was up to them as to how they used it, the advice was only on what was possible to do with a repair install. [so before I post the information, I told him to Google for it]

Here some Information on both :- Big problems restoring image on different system or my first post about it here:- To switch from a computer to another...

Take Care,
    The Quest :cool:

16. Menorcaman

Hiya TheQuest,

Probably true most of the time but not necessarily always the case. Depending on your motherboard/chipset you may have to load specific UDMA drivers otherwise the drive will be working in Int13 mode (slow). Still, if needed, these can always be loaded via Device Manager after the event.

Regards

17. tronic592001

Ive sucsesfully cloned my sata 160 gig to my pata 40 gig, and been able to boot from my pata 40 gig drive. exalent software just what i wanted (true image 800)

I used the master boot record file that was on a link on this site to fix the mbr on my pata 40 gig drive.

one thing i dont understand is my 160 gig sata drive has two partitions, C: and D:

but after i cloned the drives and then rebooted with my sata 160 gig the partition letters have changed from D: to F: need i change this back to D: or leave it as it is F:

I download to D: but all i got to do is download to F:

So what sood i do!!!!HELP

18. Menorcaman

Hello tronic592001,

Don't know what you've got on that partition but it's probably best to change it back to what it was.

Right click on "My Computer" and select "Manage" to open the "Computer Management" window. Select "Disk Management", right click on the disk volume you want to change (in your case it's F:), select "Change Drive Letters and Paths" and then click the "Change" button. Follow the prompts to assign the required drive letter from the drop down list. Back out of the various dialogue screens and that should be it.

Regards

19. tronic592001

Menorcaman thanks for reply:

ok ive changed drive letter back to D:

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.