Booting from a USB flash drive under Windows 8

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roger_m, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I am in the process of fixing a Windows 8 laptop which won't boot. It appeared that the hard drive had errors, and I needed to boot from a flash drive to run some diagnostic software. On Windows 7 and earlier this is a simple process, however as I just found on Windows 8 it's a different story - the laptop refused to boot from the USB drive, which worked find on another non Windows 8 computer.

Eventually I found this article:
    How to Set Windows 8 PC to Boot with Legacy BIOS Mode Instead of UEFI Mode

It details how to setup the BIOS so you can boot from flash drives like mine again.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yea i expect MS is going to catch some heat in their new efforts to make this windows version more secure. Wait until windows 8 won't boot and the even a USB recovery stick fails to access the recovery partition just to do a simple REFRESH.

I about pulled my hair out when faced with this issue recently and had no image backup resource to turn to. After all it successfully done a REFRESH times before with no problems by simply rebooting into system repair from the active system.

However this time was different. I took a chance of making a recovery boot up disk with a DVD that finally worked flawlessly and allowed the system to REFRESH from it's recovery partition.

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.