Bootchart conundrum

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

There is a difference between the latest Karmic 9.10 and the previous versions of bootchart.
    By what is said on the Ubuntu forums, it appears that the new bootchart times are much higher due to the logging process continuing right to (usable) desktop and not stopping at the user login.
    Even so, time taken on my system seems very bad @1 minute using autologin for the test. Some say one should deduct 45 seconds from these times as the bootchart program 'waits' or 'pauses' for login (?).
    If this were to be the case my 'real' boot time would be 15 secs. from which I could deduct another 5 secs. due to the EHCI: BIOS handoff failed bug peculiar to certain Intel motherboard models - mine included. This delay has been reduced from 18 secs. in my Hardy install to the 5 odd secs. in Karmic.
    So, I know that I am booting considerably faster in Karmic, but if my neighbour were to ask me what my boot-up time is, I would need to go into a hopefully correct explanation why it is not 1 minute but actually much less ..
    Here is a sshot of my bootchart (embarrassing considering my specs.). I have compiz plus 3 screenlets auto starting.

bootchart.png

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

If you just want to boot chart until login you can remove the 45s delay (which is a 45s delay to the bootchart daemon stopping.

Edit etc/init/bootchart.conf and comment out the entire block of pre-stop script which has a 45s sleep.

This will make bootchart behave as previous versions.

Cheers, Nick

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

If I time it with my watch the results are 7 secs. to the login screen > I type my p/word, then another 6 seconds to a usable Desktop. Big difference to what bootchart says without prematurely stopping the deamon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.