BootBack / FD-ISR thoughts from a trial.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by NCC_1927, Sep 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCC_1927

NCC_1927 Registered Member

I've been trialing BootBack/FD-ISR & here are a few thoughts about the experience. I have been a GoBack (Not Version 4) user in the past & liked that it would roll back any drive I asked it to monitor. BootBack/FD-ISR doesn't have that ability & that is a negative in my eyes. BootBack/FD-ISR is also very slow as compared to my experience with GoBack. Is the speed of BootBack/FD-ISR dependent on the CPU & HDD speed? If the application in the future could be expanded to take snapshots/images of any partition I would consider that a major plus. So it seems to me that BootBack/FD-ISR is best suited to those users who do not use multiple partitions. I tend to be a user of multiple partitions. I recently purchased True Image 9. I used it to transfer the info from a too small HDD to a larger one. It went smooth as silk. I also recently used TI9 to rescue myself from a mistake last week. Again it went very well. I believe that I am going to try to use TI9 like BootBack/FD-ISR, by doing a lot of differential backups. I will not buy BootBack/FD-ISR after the trial ends. Hopeful in future editions there will be changes that make it more attractive to me.

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

THEY DON'T??!! :eek: But that's what they are all about, what they were made for. o_O

I used Goback for five years and found that the recovery time for Goback and FD are about the same.

Acadia

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi NCC_1927

To address two of your points. Yes FDISR is very much dependent on the speed of your CPU and HDD. I have two machines that use essentially the same drive. The older machine is a P4 3.0g with a 120g WD. The newer machine uses two of the 250g versions of the same drive in a raid 0 array with a AMD Athlon 64 FX 62 processor. The speed difference is in the order of 4 to 1.

Couple of other points. While true Goback had some rollback advantages, one shot of massive disk activity and that advantage was down the drain. While true you can use ATI as a pseudo version, the speed difference would be considerable. Probably 4 or 5 to 1.

Pete

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Actually, with bootback/firstdefense-ISR you are able to maintain up to ten (10) partitions, but they have named that snapshots.
    And all these 'partitions' are in C:\, it's very convenient to copy one installation over another, without any registry reference problems.
    You are right that going back in time is different in goback, but Bootback/FD-ISR enables you to do that too.

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

And with Goback you can only go back usually several weeks. With FD you can go back years if you want to.

Acadia

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Creating new snapshots is quite slow but refreshing snapshots is very fast.
    Once your snapshots and archived snapshots are created, FDISR isn't slow anymore. Than it's a matter of seconds or a few minutes.
    I refresh my archived snapshots much faster than doing a backup with ATI.

And indeed you can go back in time with an unlimited number of archived snapshots, but you can't go back to the Dark Ages, because FD-ISR wasn't invented yet. :)

7. NCC_1927

I was referring to partitions other than C:\, I know that the application can store multiple versions of the C:\ partition. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that BootBack/FD-ISR can snapshot/image partitions other than C:\ on a hard drive, such as D: & E: & so forth?

8. ErikAlbert

That is correct. FDISR works only for the system partition [C:].
    It would be nice to give me a practical example why FDISR should work also for other partitions, than [C:].
    I know already the reasons for [C:], but not for [D:], [E:] & so forth. :)

9. NCC_1927

Well when I was a GoBack user it rolled back all partitions that I established on my HDD, if I so configured it. I often had partitions for games, special applications, etc. I found that ability to be "practical"! I think it would make BootBack/FD-ISR more appealing to me if it could do the same thing. Now whether or not that is "practical to anyone else is another matter & a matter of opinion.

10. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

And that is exactly what Bootback/FD-ISR is offering to you.
    And all of us find that very practical! No disagreements here. :thumb:

11. ErikAlbert

Each snapshot acts like an independent partition inside the real system partition [C:] and you can have maximum 10 bootable snapshots with a total different contents of your choice and you don't have to resize these snapshots like partitions.
    Rarely used snapshots can be archived and restored when needed.
    And that is just the beginning of FDISR.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  12. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Believe what Erik said. It is just the beginning of what FDISR can do. I am a new user, and have a lot to learn but it seems incredible what I have used the program for so far.
    The worrying thing is that it hasnt caused me a moments problem so far. It has done everything I asked and done it well. I have just re-partitioned and enlarged the C drive to give me more room for snapshots, and it still works perfectly. I am wondering what I have to do to break this program, but doubless I will find out eventually....:)

After using Go-Back for a long time, it just doesnt compare. Sorry. No contest.

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

You can do that with FD-ISR, but not in the way you mean. Under the one partition (drive C:\) you can create snapshots for each of your interests up to a maximum of 10 - one for games, one for special applications etc. If you want to play games, you could boot into that snapshot and when done, boot back into the one you were in before.

14. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

with all the replies i think hes got the idea by now. :D plus its been a month since his last post.

p.s. isr > goback

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.