Bootable restore on W2K using boot CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GeorgeM, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Registered Member

I tried sending this question to support@ but got no reply. Apparently I am suppose to post the problem here first?

I tried to create an image of a W2K disk to use as an emergency recover disk, in case the original fails.

When this process finished, I had several files on the target disk named as I selected in step 5.

In general it appeared to work fine, but when I then took that image and restored it back to a new drive, I ended up with a drive that would not boot.

The HD was found by the BIOS and it appeared that it was about to boot from it, but it just sort of hung at the point where the HD should have taken over the boot process.

Here are the basic steps I used to create the image:

1. Boot to the recovery CD (created from within Acronis TI)

2. Select "Full Version"

3. Select "Create image"

4. Select All of Disk 1 (c: drive) by checking the top selection

5. Select Disk 2 plus a filename for the 'copy to' file.

6 Select "Create Full Backup Image Archive"

7. Select "Automatic" for file sizing

8. Select "Normal" compression

9. Select no password (just 'Next' past this prompt leaving fields blank)

10. Select "Proceed".

Ideas here?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi GeorgeM,

Welcome to the Acronis True Image Support Forum.

Do you use Norton GoBack (or similar)? If so, have a read of this <Acronis True Image FAQ>. If not, then it's worth trying FixMBR on the new disk. Either boot from your Windows Installation CD into Recovery Console and run the "fixmbr" command or, if you prefer, download one of the tools provided by Acronis Support in this <previous post>.

Regards

3. GeorgeM

No, I don't use GoBack, and I should have mentioned in the original post that I did try the fixmbr trick. It made no apparent difference. (I used the W2K install CD to get to the recovery console to do this)

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Sorry that didn't help.

When you rebooted after the restore did you have both the old and new drives connected? If so, try disconnecting the old drive before rebooting. If that fails use the Clone Wizard whilst running TI in Windows mode and clone your old drive to the new. After that you can leave both drives connected if you wish and just change your BIOS settings to boot from either one.

Regards

5. GeorgeM

The good news is that I have an XP box I'm working on and I imaged it's boot drive exactly as I did the previous W2K box, except in this case restoring that image to an empty drive works just as advertised, creating a working and bootable primary disk.

I may try to repeat the first test sometime to see if I get the same results.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello GeorgeM,

It is really strange that you haven't received a reply from Acronis Support Team. Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply? I will find out the reason for the delay.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.