bootable rescue disks - mouse/keyboard doesent work

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by skjesp, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skjesp

skjesp Registered Member

When I try to restore an image using bootable rescue disks (cd-r) I'm having a problem. When the ATI is finished loading and I can choose to restore - I cant. The mouse or the keyboard wont work. How can I fix this, A driver issue?

2. TvK

TvK Guest

I had the same problem, but only when i had 1 harddisk at a nForce SATA controler. When i did the same at a Silicon Image 3512 controler, a normal IDE controler or a Gigabit controler (they are al present at the Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard), then everything works fine. Do you use a nForce controler also? If so, that's the problem i guess.....

3. skjesp

skjesp Registered Member

It is two ways to create a bootdisc. The full version - which loads all the drivers, and a safe version - which is pretty clean. When I choose the safe version my mouse and keyboard works, but then the program dont see my external USB 2.0 HD.

Any help on this?

4. Roo

Roo Guest

I have the same problem. Using the full-featured bootable CD (which is needed for restoration to USB during an OS crash) simply results in a frozen, completely unusable User Interface screen. The mouse pointer doesn't just freeze, it doesn't appear at all. I just bought TI 8.0 and was using the boot CD I created to verify TI would recognize my USB hard drive; I never expected that the CD wouldn't work *at all*.

I've reinstalled, update my BIOS, and installed all driver updates that I could identify for my Micron Transport GX notebook, Win 98SE.

BTW, I don't have the issue TVK referred to.

I had high hopes for TI, but unfortunately I'm not optimistic at this point (hope I'm wrong!), and I see a refund in my future. Even if I somehow get this working, it has to make me wonder about the program's stability and whether it will pull similar "surprises" at critical disaster-recovery points.

BTW, is there anyone who has had a similar problem with 8.0, but *didn't* have any such problem with 7.0? I see on this forum that people are reporting bugs with 8.0.

Thanks much in advance for any ideas. Needlesss to say, I'm really disappointed...I had such high hopes for this program.

Rick

5. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

To anybody seeing this problem...
    Are you using USB keyboards and/or mice?

If so, perhaps try a standard device instead. Or if that's not a possibility make sure that the BIOS Legacy USB Support is enabled.

6. skjesp

skjesp Registered Member

Im using a USB mose and keyboard. It's strange that mouse/keyboard works with the safe verion of the rescue disk and not with the recomended.

7. noonie

noonie Registered Member

skjesp
    This should be a driver issue. You can boot almost anything with linux and you don't have to necessarily have bios support including usb keyb/mouse. You just have to have support to the particular drive you are booting to and in Ti's case, a cd drive. Then if the kernals are correct, Linux can transfer the boot to any other drive as long as it is able to boot. If Linux loads properly, it sees drives and even your optical drives as emanulated scsi drives in usb and firewire. In fact some usb2 devices will freeze the system if legacy usb is enabled.
    As wdormann suggested: Personally, even though my mb has 8 usb ports, I still use ps/2 for keyb/mouse. Adaptors are available if your input devices are usb and you want to use ps/2.
    Also, try to disable plug and play support in your bios and boot with Ti. This should help on some systems.
    I'm sure you'll hear fom Acronis when they have made a fix.

8. Roo

Roo Guest

I'm using a standard keyboard and a standard mouse (PS/2 Touchpad). The experience thus far makes me uncomfortable, so I've already uninstalled and sumbitted the refund request. Maybe if I'm still "in the market" when the bug is fixed I'll buy again.

But I'm still curious...what's the idea behind the BIOS plug-and-play-disable suggestion? (Sorry if the question is dumb...I have only a fuzzy understanding of some of these issues).

9. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

This BIOS option should never be enabled. If it is, the BIOS will not assign IRQs to PCI devices and leaves it up to the OS. Bad idea.

10. KarlK

KarlK Guest

I have exactly the same problem, I tried the Recommended CD, it froze, impossible to do anything, but with the Safe CD it's working but no network support and impossible to create an image file !

When I write the name of the image file I can't click on the "Next" button.

I'm also pretty disappointed, 50 dollars spent and it's not working correctly.

The problem must come from the Nforce controller, I have a motherboard with Nforce 3 250G controller.

11. DragonS

DragonS Guest

I have the same problem. In safe mode the mouse problem is certainly an USB problem. But in the full mode the frozen disk problem with XP SP2 OS is due to a driver problem. I get the message "Unable to load Linux kernel". Anyone any suggstions?

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DragonS,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

Could you please send a letter to support@acronis.com and tell the full model name of your mouse (and keyboard if it doesn't work either), the type of it (USB or PS/2) and whether you are trying to boot the "Full" version of Acronis Bootable CD or the "Safe" one? Please indicate in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Ilya Toytman. I will try to help you to solve the issue.

Actually, in our latest builds there were great improvements made in the mouse support so please first of all, make sure Acronis Bootable CD is created with the latest build of Acronis True Image (i.e. 791 build).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.