Bootable Rescue CD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Phil B., Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil B.

Phil B. Registered Member

I do a full backup once a month and incrementals every other day. How often should I create a new bootable CD? How about when I install a new build? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Phil

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule on that. In theory there is no need to create a new bootable CD when there is a new build but in practice that's what I do. I also keep the previous bootable CD as a fallback. Just make sure that when you do create a new bootable CD that you test it and make sure it works. CD's are relatively cheap so it's probably best to err on the side of paranoia and have at least two or maybe three just so you can sleep at night.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

It's a good idea to make a new bootable recovery CD after installing a new build of TI. The image format changes from time to time, and an old recovery CD may not be able to open and restore an image made with a later build.

4. Phil B.

When I check the bootable CD will it install one of the backups? What should I do to check the bootable CD without restoring anything back to the hard drive?

I have checked out the restoring of some files but not the bootable CD.

Phil B.

5. rharris270

rharris270 Guest

The bootable CD runs True Image almost the same as it runs under Windows. You have many oppertunities to "cancel" the operation. Further, you can test the bootable CD by making an image, instead of restoring an image. That is safer, since the worst that can happen is that you make an up-to-date backup image.

My own experiences with True Image are that if you can (1) see all physical disks, both internal and external, and (2) see all expected partitions, and (3) if the mouse works, then True Image will be able to perform a successful restore.

However, if you want to "practice" with the restoration feature, then I suggest that you make a small test partition, via Acronis Partition Expert or Symantec Partition Magic. Place a few files on that partition, then make an image to another partition or to an external drive or CD, then format the small partition, then restore the small partition.

Note that True Image seems to treat internal and external drives equally, so in theory you could make an image of a partition on an external drive, then format the external drive, then restore it. I mention this since you might have access to a USB 2.0 or firewire drive that you would be willing to use for a test. That might be easier/safer than trying to make an extra partition on your primary internal hard drive.

6. jmk94903

Booting fromthe Recovery CD won't restore anything until you pick what to restore and where to restore it.

You should boot from the Recovery CD and confirm that you can see your backup images and then use the Check Image function. If the images are checked without errors, they should restore properly.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Phil,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We do recommend that you update all Acronis software and create new Acronis Bootable Media with the latest build.

You can try to boot from it and make sure it will work correctly.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

8. Phil B.

I am using Build 826. Has build 889 been fixed re the USB problem?

I did try the bootable Cd and everything went well until the Restore Image Wizard - Restored Partition Location. Drive letters did not relate to the correct drive names so I cancelled.

Disk 1 Internal hard Drive Restore Image Wizard
    Drive Name - Original Drive Letter - Drive letter in Restored Partition Loc.
    Dell Software - C - C
    Phil Software - F - J
    Photos & Work - G - E DVD /CD-RW
    Data & Backup - H - F
    Photo Software - I - J

Disk 2 External

Dantz Express - K - I
    Backup My PC - L - H
    True Image - J - D DVD Rom

I then did an image restore in windows and it worked fine.

Phil B.

9. jmk94903

Windows and Linux enumerate drives differently, so you will often see different drive letters. One way to be sure you are working with the correct drive (or partition) is to give each partition a name in Windows that clearly identifies it. For example, Boot-System, Data, Storage, Backups, etc. Regardless of the drive letter, you will know which drive or partition you are working with.

10. Acronis Support

Hello Phil B.,

What USB problem did you encounter with the latest (889) build of Acronis True Image? As for labeling partitions as John described the labels remains the same in Acronis True Image stand-alone mode that is why it is useful to make them.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

11. Phil B.

Ilya,

I did not have a USB problem with 889 because I never installed it after reading on this forum about the USB driver problem. Since I backup to an external USB drive I thought it best to wait until it is corrected. Has the USD driver problem been fixed?

All my drives are named , (C- Dell Software, F- Phil Software, etc.) .

Phil

12. Acronis Support

Hello Phil,

The problems are very individual and there is no common problem with USB. Furthermore, sometimes the problem is connected with hardware rather than with software. I have contacted our Development Team recently and they said there were almost no changes in USB drivers. If you encounter any issues with USB please feel free to contact our Support Team via support@acronis.com with the description of your particular problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

13. Phil B.

Ilya,

I installed 889 and was able to create a full backup image in 23 minutes which means (I hope) the USB drivers are OK. Verified, then made a bootable CD and did a restore of one partition (3.35Gb Data - 19.53 GB partition size) using the bootable CD. Restore took 41 minutes. I then did the same restore under windows and it took 4 minutes. Is the time difference normal?

Thanks for letting me know that the driver problem in 889 was not a common problem.

Phil B.

14. phrab

phrab Registered Member

Hi Phil:
    Out of curiosity, how much data did you back up & what processor speed, etc. do you have when you say it took 23 minutes for a full backup?
    Thanks,

15. Acronis Support

Hello Phil B.,

There may be a difference in the restoration time under Windows and in Acronis True Image stand-alone mode. I don't think there is a problem with USB in your case. However, I recommend that you update Acronis Bootable CD with future builds when they are released because our Development Team is updating drivers and the speed may increase.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

16. Phil B.

phrab,

19.8 Gb of data.

Dell 4600 - 2.83 GHz

Backed up to a Maxtor external 200GB HD 7200 with 8 mb cache. Used TI8.0 build 889.

Phil B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.