Bootable Acronis 10 on 8 gb USB Flash drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by markdizik, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markdizik

markdizik Registered Member

I wanted a USB flash drive that had Acronis 10 home on it and was bootable and large enough to store an image. I want to travel with my laptop and have an image of the system just in case something happens while I'm away from home.

I believe I've been able to create this and will test tonight. Here's what I've done.

First I took an 8 gig flash drive and used the HP Drive Key boot utility to make it bootable.

Then I went to Windows Disk Management under the Computer Management and converted the flash drive to FAT32.

Finally I used the Acronis Media Builder to put Acronis Home 10 on the flash drive.

I know that the flash drive boots fine with Acronis 10 home and that I can back up small files to the same drive. Tonight, I'll try to backup my entire system to the flash.

2. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

Let us know-was thinking of buying one of those 8Gs myself in case ext.HD goes bad ; you can never have too many backups!

3. markdizik

markdizik Registered Member

Well, while it works, it's painfully slow. I wouldn't recommend it done this way, i.e. TI to the USB drive directly. What I ended up doing, is making an image to an external USB hard drive (with a 2 gb size limit) and then copying the true image files to the USB drive. I haven't tried a restore yet, but I at least have TI and the restore files on the same drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.