Boot WinPE, VistaPE, BartPE with FD-ISR

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by pandlouk, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

As you all know FD-ISR is pretty unique.

One of the ways that I use it, is to boot also VistaPE and BartPE (inram) images; very handy when you want to mess with partitioning, restoring etc.
    Since I use those for more than a year and I consider it more than safe, I decided to make a small tuttorial on how to achieve it.:cool:

ps. If you try it, you will be wondering how you lived without such fuctionality all this time. :) :p

Panagiotis

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. pandlouk

Create an Empty snapshot

First thing to do is to create an empty snapshot.

[​IMG]

You can also give it an appropriate name.

[​IMG]

Panagiotis

3. pandlouk

BartPE tutorial

- Download winbuilder and use it to create your custom BartPE Core.

- You must enable the folowing setting for making it possible to use a ramdisk (needed for restoring the system partition).

[​IMG]

-After you create the iso open it with an appropriate program and copy its contents to a new folder.

[​IMG]

-Open the I386 subfolder and make two copies of "SETUPLDR.BIN". Then rename the to "BOOTMGR" and "NTLDR" without any extension.

[​IMG]

- Then copy the files "BOOTMGR", "NTLDR", "NTDETECT.COM" in the previous directory. Those with the "RAMBOOT.ISO" and "WINNT.SIF" are the files that we need for our snapshot.

[​IMG]

Panagiotis

4. pandlouk

VistaPE tutorial

-Download winbuilder and use it to create your custom cd.

-It is important to run all files from wim especially if you want to use it for restoring your system partition.

[​IMG]

-After you create the iso open it with an appropriate program and copy its contents to a new folder. Then make a copy of the "BOOTMGR" and rename it to "NTLDR".

[​IMG]

Panagiotis

5. pandlouk

Uninstall, modify snapshot and reinstall FD-ISR

Now it is time to uninstall FD-ISR.

[​IMG]

After you uninstalled it go to the "C:\$ISR" open the folder of the winpe snapshot (created earlier); it is the one with less than 4kb occupied space.

[​IMG]

Now copy in here the files needed from your BartPE folder or all the files and the "Boot" directory form your VistaPE folder, created earlier from their isos.

Reinstall FD-ISR and you are ready to go.

Enjoy your FD-ISR WinPE snapshot. ;)

Panagiotis

6. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

pandlouk, yet again I am astounded how you some of you guys think 'outside the box', so to speak, and have the knowledge to even think of doing things like this - I wouldn't even know where to start.

However, being the thick idiot that I am first thing on a Thursday morning (and most of the rest of the time according to my wife), I'm trying to get my head around what this would be used for? Would it be kind of like a Linux live disc where we can change settings that would disappear on reboot? And if this is the case, wouldn't we just use FD-ISR normally? You know - install software, don't like it, replace snapshot with clean one.

Sorry mate - I think this is a case of people on Wilders being far too clever and me totally missing the point, and I hate missing out on a useful tool :thumb: .

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I'm with mrfargoreed on this one: if I can figure out what you're talking about, what would I need this for? Thank you.

Acadia

8. pandlouk

Hi mrfargoreed,

Correct. WinPE cds are similar to live Linux cds. But the main reason that I use them is for restoring images or resizing partitions (especially for my desktop, since the recovery cds do not like my raid); and occasionaly for scanning for viruses or for navigating in internet.

The main problem of those cds (especially BartPE ones) is that they are soooo slow in booting and in starting the apps.

If you do not use winpes, you don't miss anything (although is good to have one). But if you do use them, having the ability to start them with a click of FD-ISR or selecting them during the boot is extremly convinient.

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.