Boot Up Query

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mearns, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mearns

Mearns Registered Member

Installed TI a few days ago. I have TI 8.0 Startup Recovery Manager activated and a secure zone on my Maxtor external USB drive. Today I turned on the PC but it stopped booting just before the "Press F11 for Acronis Startup" etc. It took me a while to realise I had not powered up my Maxtor drive and once I did this everything was okay.

However this concerns me as it would appear from this incident that if my external Maxtor drive fails to power up for any reason then I cannot boot up my PC. I suppose one option would be to change the boot up order so I could boot up from CD if necessary but this shouldn't really be necessary.

Have I missed something or is what happened to me normal?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi

Activating the Startup Recovery Manager (SRM) has modified the Master Boot Record (MBR) of your boot drive and now expects to find a SZ on the drive it was created on. Disconnect this drive and the system will complain/hang.

The SRM has other complications, namely incompatibility with certain boot managers, Norton Go Back etc. Personally I would deactivate the SRM and use the TI Boot Rescue CD instead.

Regards

3. Mearns

Mearns Registered Member

Thanks for that Menorcaman - I'll take your advice and do what you suggest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.