Boot selector and Vista

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Shraddhan, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shraddhan

Shraddhan Registered Member

I have installed Vista Beta 2 as an alternative operating on my XP SP2 machine, which also has Windows 95 and 98 SE installed on it.

Now when I boot up, Disk Director 10 (build 2089) gives the same choices of operating system as it used to before adding Vista. However, when I now try to boot into XP (the original default), I find the computer booting into Vista by default. The Vista boot manager gives me hardly any time at all to select XP instead.

My question is, can I add Vista to the set of choices offered by Disk Director boot manager? I would then be able to boot into XP by default. I am reluctant to just experiment in case I break something.

Shraddhan
    www.ultimacalc.com

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Shraddhan,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please be aware that Windows Vista is not officially supported by any of Acronis Software. You can find the list of operating systems which are supported by Acronis OS Selector in this FAQ article. That is why I'm afraid that we cannot provide you with any solution at the moment.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. Shraddhan

Shraddhan Registered Member

I found a work around:

Inside Vista, I found that I could set its boot settings so that it boots up by default into an older operating system, i.e. into XP. I also increased the time delay to about 6 seconds.

Now, when the computer starts up, the Disk Director boot manager tries to start up Vista, which boots up XP instead after a 3 second pause. Why the delay time is less than what I specified, I don't know.

Anyway, problem solved.

Shraddhan

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Shraddhan,

I'm glad to hear that your issue has been solved. Sharing your experience is very much appreciated.

If you have any further experience to share, please feel free to post it on this forum.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

5. feddup

feddup Registered Member

Where in Vista do you alter the boot settings? I've got the disks but have yet to install. I'd like to boot to XP by default.

6. Batfink

Batfink Registered Member

Does using OSS cause disk corruption in your vista partition... I have allsorts of NTFS errors.. which Im sure werent there prior to installation...

I also found that installing VISTA had an adverse effect on drive letters.. despite having an OS already installed, doing a boot installation.. it would always want to be the C drive.. which would obviously cause problems if you had multiple OS parttions visible/bootable...

7. dsmart[3000ad]

dsmart[3000ad] Registered Member

Which is why you should first create+format the partition you want to install to using either Partition Magic, QtParted (free) or similar tool. Do NOT use Disk Director!!!

Then boot back into XP (or your OS of choice), use OSS to give the new drive a drive letter (e.g. V), then install Vista into that drive.

Works perfectly and thats the method I used for my quad boot system.

8. Batfink

I know you can do that through installing via XP.. but you cant do it from a clean install via dvd boot... I want to have it on D, but D is my XP when booted, and vista ignores existing letters when you boot from the dvd...

I like all my oses to share the same drive letter, for convenience.. and I cant achieve this with the way vista installs.. nevermind though, I can work around it!!

9. dsmart[3000ad]

dsmart[3000ad] Registered Member

Yes you can do it IF you created the partitions first, give them drive letters, THEN boot from the Vista DVD.

10. samneric

samneric Registered Member

Alrighty chaps,

After spending a whole day trying to get my dual boot to work, I finally acheived it.

I found some instructions on another forum and with my own contribution, you should find success.

My addition: before attempting the procedure, make sure you deactivate OS selector if you already have it running on an existing OS on your box.

Here are the instructions (respect to the poster for his time and effort explaining technical details and posting the procedure):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=18192

...and in answer to one of the questions in this forum, you can clean install Vista from the DVD (the procedure, infact that I used).

As Vista is installed, it should detect the previous Windows install and create backups of all the boot files needed. After install, I noticed the following files in the root folder:

boot.bak
    boot.ini.saved
    bootsect.bak

Good luck!

Steve.

------------------------------------------------------
    My setup

HP Pavilion dv8000 laptop with two internal SATA drives.
    Drive 1: Windows Vista
    Drive 2: Windows XP

11. Batfink

Was easy for me...

I simply installed XP, then OSS...booted into it to make sure it was all working ok.. stuck in the Vista dvd, installed it to another partition... reactivated OSS (which becomes inactive during vista installation), it then showed my original XP, and an Unrecognised OS (which was vista).. selected it, and it booted fine.. no probs for me....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.