boot recovery - no mouse or keyboard support

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by spierce, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spierce

spierce Registered Member

Hi,

I need to replace my primary drive and have daily incremental backups ready.

I created a Boot Recovery CD and it boots fine - except, that I have no mouse or keyboard support... just sits there with a mouse cursor that does not respond... and no response to keyboard.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
    Stephen

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

What version of TI?

Is your mouse/keyboard wireless and possibly Logitech? If so, some of the Logitech series don't work well with the Linux drivers on the CD.

Check also that you don't have your mouse/keyboard (if USB) plugged into a hub - this is known to cause TI boot CD to have a bit of a wobble. Plugging the combo into a standard USB port solves that one.

Forgot - have you tried the F11 trick at at bootup with the CD and the quiet acpi=off noapic usbmouse=off? After pressing F11 when the boot CD starts, you'll get a command line box pop up with the words quiet ..... Just type in the stuff above shown in red.

Yes I realise that your keyboard doesn't work, but it is possible that it works whilst the kernel is being loaded or if you can plug this into a PS2 port. Check if in BIOS you have a legacy entry for USB devices. Even though the above command line flag says usbmouse off - newer BIOS/Motherboards have built in USB support at bootup.

Colin

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  3. spierce

thank you for the suggestion - still stuck

I am using the lasted build of TI (downloaded yesterday)
    My mouse and keyboard are NOT usb, but plug directly into the motherboard.
    Running Windows XP with latest updates installed

I tried F11 - the dialog box with "quiet" came up, but none of my typing showed up. the box went away after a couple of seconds and I hit F11 again. The box came up again, accepted no keyboard input and went away after a couple of seconds. Repeated a third time, but after that would not come up again on F11.

Any more suggestions appreciated.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Strange obviously some of your keyboard data is getting through, do you have another keyboard that could be roped in as backup ----

OK next set of questions then would be;

What brand mouse /keyboard ? I assume both are PS2 or is the mouse serial?

What brand motherboard, BIOS and version, chipset ?

Does Keyboard work if mouse not connected or vice versa ?

As these work within XP, then the quickest way to sort this out is to take a deep sigh and download BartsPe and use this Windows based CD.

I recommend using a CD R/W whilst sorting this all out. Make sure your Acronis boot files are not corrupted.

Just thought is this the demo version or the full paid up one ? Not sure why this would make a difference - but might as well get the full picture. :)

Colin

5. spierce

I have a Sony Vaio, using standard issue Sony mouse. I swapped out the keyboard and using a Microsoft brand keyboard with the split/arch center.

I don't know the brand of motherboard, bios, chipset - is there a quick way to get this?

I upgraded/over-rode my builtin graphics card and now use NVidia 64... but, it seems to work as the screen is there when i boot.

I don't know if the mouse/keyboard work if one is missing - i can try that after I send this back.

use BartsPe - not sure what this is.

I used the full paid version of Acronis TI. Not sure how to tell if bootfiles are corrupted - since it boots, you'd think it's not corrupted, but I don't see anyway to tell. I just downloaded the latest version yesterday.

thank you, Stephen

6. spierce

I booted without the mouse and my keyboard works.

Now, I see a few more questions - perhaps another thread is appropriate?

I currently have 2 drives. Drive 1 contains all my OS and data and is partitioned into C: and D: My Drive 2 is used for backup and currently called H:

When installing my new replacement drive, I would like to create 3 partitions: C, D, E where C and D are the same size as before and E is for a special purpose.

When I boot in the recovery disk, C is shown as expected, but D is now the full drive 2 and "D" is now called E:.

Two questions:
    1) I forgot how best to partition the drive - don't see that functionality in TI. I probably have an old WD disk utilities that would work- any suggestions?
    2) If the backup drive 2 is now showing up with a name of D, how will I be able to proceed in recovery? Wouldn't it overwrite itself?

Thank you for your help!!!

Stephen

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Since you've made a new thread witha duplicate of this last post; we'll lock this one down to keep discussion in one place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.