Boot Order question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by compiler, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. compiler

compiler Registered Member

OK-- just got TI 10.0. I installed it and created a recovery disk and later I'm going to store the entire C drive image on my external USB drive.

But another disaster-related question:

First, can someone remind me how to change the boot order?

OK-- what is the best boot order to have in case of a disaster.

Assume I have a B/U image file on an external USB drive. I also have TrueImage 10 which can boot via its CD.

So, does it make more sense to have CD drive as first in the boot order with "C" drive 2nd and USB thirds??

I'm thinking that if it boots from the C drive first and something bad happens, it may never be able to boot from the CD drive (and I might not be able to change the boot order)

Mel

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Changing the boot order has to happen before windows starts at all. Depending on your machine you may have to press DEL, or F1, or F2, or F10. When you start the machine you should see a message that says "Press ... to enter Setup". Press that key and you will be able to access the BIOS and change the boot order. My personal preference is to have the Boot Order as CD, HD, Flopppy.

3. data7

data7 Registered Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see why the boot order really matters; as long as the CD and HDD are in the sequence. If it can't boot from the HDD it will try the CD or vice-versa.

Regards

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

If the boot order is HDD, CD and the HDD is found first it will always boot from the HDD. If you want to boot from CD it has to be the first choice at least on my machines. Some newer motherboards may do it differently.

5. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

One of the first things I do on any system, whether new or one I'm repairing, is make sure the boot order is:

1. Floppy drive, if any (remember those?)
    2. CD drive
    3. Hard drive
    4. Any other bootable device.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You can always enter the BIOS and set or change the boot order whether your hard drive is functional or not, so if the machine boots faster with the HD first, and you like that, it's fine to have the HD first.

If there's a problem and the hard drive boots but only part way or to a corrupted operating system, go into the BIOS and put the CD ahead of the HD and then boot from the Recovery CD.

Personally, I have the CD ahead of the HD because it doesn't make the system boot significantly slower on my system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.