Boot Media Builder Problem

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by DNDN, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DNDN

DNDN Registered Member

Can anybody help me get Boot Media Builder Working. (Comes with Backup and Restore 12)

Let me explain what I am trying to do. I have a PC, let's call it Source_PC that I am trying to clone to a new PC with different hardware. Let's call this Target_PC.

Source PC is a Win 7 SP1 32 bit installation.

I have run a Norton Ghost back-up of Source_PC that I have restored identically to Target_PC. I installed Boot Media Builder and WAIK for Win 7 Sp1) on Source_PC. I then created my Boot Media Recovery DVD from this machine.

The Boot Media (Advanced Recovery DVD) was created without error messages.

When I then take the Boot Media DVD (Advanced Recovery DVD) and run on Target_PC everything seems OK until I run P2P. It runs very quickly without (I think) picking up any drivers to install on this new hardware. I tried running in auto mode and then in setting parameters mode without success. When using the setting parameters mode it parses any .INF files pointed to, but does not seem to do anything with them.

Attached are some of the LOG files that I took from Target_PC after P2P failed to work properly. The P2P LOG has has some worrying messages, such as Registry cannot be written to.

I tried to supply the missing drivers, but they never got included.

Any ideas how I can get this working?

Attached Files:

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

on the source as well as the destination could you please check the bios to see what each is running in? I am curious if they are in IDE or AHCI or RAID mode.

3. DNDN

DNDN Registered Member

Hi Matt,

Target_PC
    ----------
    Controller - Serial ATA
    Port SATA-0
    Bios = This drive is controlled by the RAID BIOS

SOURCE_PC
    -----------
    SATA is configured for ATA

Source_PC is a DELL Latitude D630
    Taget_PC is a DELL Dimension E520

Don't know if relevant, but target PC only has 1G Ram. Waiting for more RAM that I have ordered.

4. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

The RAM issue wouldn't be significant, I will check into what could be causing this, I rarely if ever run into issues performing any type of adjustment to hardware. In the mean time, I would recommend attempting to perform the migration with the Paragon Software either performing a backup and restore or a disk copy operation and then performing the P2P adjust and see if you receive the same results.

5. DNDN

DNDN Registered Member

Matt,

Great suggestion.

Did what you suggested and this time Boot Media Builder worked excellently.

In auto mode it parsed the .INF files OK. The changes ran again really quickly, but Target_PC booted fine.

It then updated various drivers as you would expect.

Boot Media Builder / Paragon Back-up and restore is a great program.

Problem resolved.

Many thanks for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.