Boot Issues on HP 64 bit desk top

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by Escalader, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I have inherited this vista desk top, 64 bit. It won't boot past a sky blue screen with the pointer in the middle of the screen.

I have several licenced Paragon products suite, partition manager and their bootable dvd's/cd's for my windows 7 64 bit pc.

Can I use these cd's to attempt top repair the boot/os on this HP desk top?

If not, what approach is possible?

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes,

Try using the Pargon discs to ensure the partition containing the boot critical files is set as Active. ( look at the partitions with Paragon and check for bootmgr and a pale yellow folder called boot on the ROOT of the partition ).

Also run the paragon bootcorrector - try correcting bcd on all drives.

Otherwise, try running automatic startup repair from the windows 7 recovery disc ( yes, it works great on Vista) but you must use the same bit - version as the Vista you have installed (if you're not sure - try the 32 bit 7 recovery cd first) Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs — The NeoSmart Files

3. Escalader

Thanks for replying. I suspect 99% that it is a vista 32 on a 64 bit desk top. It is 3 years old.

You have helped remind me of the need to create the w7 recovery disks.

PS I may be up the creek if the boot priority won't try the cd/dvd drive first. :doubt:

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

If boot priority isn't already set to boot from cdrom first - there must be a way to get into bios setup - press F2 or Del, or similar.

I don't suppose there is an option during POST that says press F11 ( or similar ) for boot menu.

Another option is to have a look at the drive with one of the Paragons and see if you can spot the recovery partition ( usually 6-10gb ).

Give it a drive letter, and mark it Active. With luck you will reboot straight into the mfr recovery program and be able to do a factory restore.

5. Escalader

I'll have my hands on this HP 64 bit vista in about a week.

So thanks again for your advice. Paragon is also helping me out so betwixt and between I should get this done if it is doable.

If not (worst case) I'll wipe it and install windows 7 fresh!
    Not really that bad an idea cost of the W7 license is less than whole new HP desktop.:blink:

Last edited: May 17, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.