boot.ini etc. location

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mlehtola, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlehtola

mlehtola Registered Member

Hi,

I had to reinstall w2k to my c-drive and that lead me into this situation:

C-drive, NTFS, w2k
    D-drive, NTFS, boot.ini, ntdetect.co etc. for w2k

so some of the files for booting are on D-drive, what happens if I create a full backup of C-drive, does it include the files from the D-drive? Propably not...so is there a way to create a full w2k backup including those files (c-drive partition + some files for booting on d-drive), or is there a way to move the files from D to C?

regards
    Markku

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Markku,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If you create an image of a separate partition then I'm afraid that it will not be possible to include some files which are not stored in this partition into this image. So we recommend you to create an image of the entire hard drive (if both patitions reside in one hard drive) or create one image of both hard drives (if these partitions reside on separate hard drives).

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. mlehtola

I guess backups work as far as there's no changes to the boot files on d-drive. i'll try to search MS-website if there's a possibility to move the files from d to c.

thanks, regards
    Markku

4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

You now have a totally mixed up system.

The boot files MUST be on drive C.

Some files could be manually moved from one drive to the other, butt, this would be SAFE ONLY if the OS were the same on both drives.

There's a lot of details to handle, but you might be able to restore D ato C and C to D, butt I would not advise from afar,

5. mlehtola

No, I didn't restore my D to C, I reINSTALLED to C. Never had windows on D. W2k installation put the files to D for some reason. I'll try to move the boot-files to C so I can create a full partition backup. I just donät know if I have to do something else than just move the files (mark C active or something).

6. Howard Kaikow

When one installs an OS, one is given the option of overwriting the currently installed OS (usually, not the best way to go), or doing a "clean" install (usually, the better choice), in which case the OS Will be installed in a different partition.

However, boot.ini, ntldr, etc. will ALWAYS be installed on the C drive, NEVER on another drive.

7. mlehtola

I reformatted the partition for C-drive within win installation, so it was a clean install. Now c is my system partition and d is my boot partition.

Bullshit, I HAVE WINDOWS ON C and those FILES ON D. Just google with "moving boot.ini ntdetect.com" and you will find that it's very easy to have a situation like this...just don't know for sure what to do if I want to "fix" it.

8. Howard Kaikow

The boot.ini, etc. has to be on the drive first seen by the hardware at boot.
    If you have changed the BIOS so that D is that drive, then that might work, but I'd never recommend doing so.

9. Tsu

Tsu Registered Member

I'm having a brain cramp following this thread. This has nothing to do with the original problem but...

Boot.ini doesn't know a drive letter from a cheeze sandwich. However, the boot process will eventually end with drive letter assignments AFTER a successful boot of an O/S.

I think you folks are confusing things with your syntax and referencing them with drive letters.

Try this... http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/unknownreference/articles/12284.aspx

or this ... http://www.compphix.com/xpbootprocess.html

10. Howard Kaikow

Right!

I stated

The drive letter doesn't matter, it's the BIOS settings that matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.