boot image problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by davebot900, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davebot900

davebot900 Registered Member

I have True Image 9.0 home, and what I want to do is make a bootable recovery disk with my backup image on the dvd. I was able to do this using CDshell, and the disc works perfectly when I boot it on my desktop.

The problem is when I use it on my laptop (Dell Inspiron e1505/6400) the disc will boot but when I get to the acronis app, the DVD drive is unavailable. So I can't search for an image on it. Weird, since I already booted from the drive. Like I said, it works on my desktop. I think the problem might have something to do with the way my laptop starts the drive. I don't know. All I know is that the desktop DVD drive works fine.

Is there some f11 command I can use to make the dvd drive accessible?

The laptop DVD drive by the way is a Samsung TS-L462 combo-drive.

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello davebot900,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please note that there are two methods of DVD-writing for your purposes:

If you use an old build of Acronis True Image and save your image to DVD using third party UDF packet DVD writing software then please make sure that you use UDF version 2.1 or lower. The point is that UDF versons higher than 2.1 are not supported in rescue mode and therefore images that are actually reside on DVD are not visible in rescue mode.

Please remember also that you should finalize your DVD when you save your image on it.

Another method (for the latest build) of the bootable rescue DVD creation along with the image is to set up additional Backup options in Acronis True Image.
    Please select Tools -> Options -> Default Backup Options from the main program menu. Choose Media components . Under Advanced tab you can select Full, Safe or both Acronis True Image Home loader version. The Safe version does not have USB, PC card or SCSI drivers and is useful only in case the Full version does not load.
    After you add Media components to the Backup option, you can create the image and write it directly to DVD in Acronis True Image and your DVD will be bootable one in this case.
    We recommend you to use DVD-/+RW disks with the build 3633.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

So please create the new bootable DVD with the latest build and see whether the problem still persists.

Please let us know your results.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  3. biggerthanjesus

biggerthanjesus Registered Member

I'm having the exact same problem. I have a Dell E1405 laptop with a Philips DVD+-RW SDVD8820 double layer DVD writer. I followed the advice of the poster up top, and have the latest version (build 3633) of True Image Home 9.0. When I boot from the rescue disk, I'm able to see the recovery software, but I can't load the image I burned to a separate DVD. The DVD drive just isn't there -- all I see is my local hard disk and nearby computers. I don't have this problem on my desktop, and I can see the DVD drive just fine on that computer. It doesn't matter what disc is in the drive -- it's simply unavailable. I think this is a bug related to the DVD drives that ship with Dell laptops.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello biggerthanjesus,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please create Linux System Information (sysinfo.txt) and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post?

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.